Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 For those who know ANYTHING about PENDULUMS >

For those who know ANYTHING about PENDULUMS

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

For those who know ANYTHING about PENDULUMS

Old 06-23-2004, 07:52 PM

Default For those who know ANYTHING about PENDULUMS

What is the farthest (in yards) you've ever been able to or known anyone to be able to accurately shoot a pendulum from a treestand??? All the pendulums on the market say they are good to 30 yards, but my first FIXED pin is good out to almost thirty yards itself! Are pendulums really worth messing with if they are only good to 30 yards?
Old 06-23-2004, 08:35 PM

Default RE: For those who know ANYTHING about PENDULUMS

captain b:

Regardless the distance a pendulum sight is accurate to, the primary advantage of a pendulum sight is to not have to estimate the distance to the target. With some bows, one fixed pin set at 30-yards may give you a X to X range that you can set the pin on the spot, but the trajectory is not as flat as some believe it will be.

You might sight in at 30-yards with one pin and then only be able to aim at and hit the same spot down to 25 yards before the shaft starts to hit too high and you have to know the distance to properly "Kentucky" the pin to spot. A pendulum, if a good pendulum and all other things are right, may be accurate from 5 to 40 yards, depending on the pendulum, without having to adjust the aim.

I have used many types over the years, from a $4.00 brass swivel pin, to a $50.00 Mason that lit up the yardage with an LED light, to an $80.00 pendulum that I could use from 10 to 50 yards with fairly good accuracy.

I know this from experience; do not go too cheap on a pendulum. The Keller was good, but to noisy for me and I did not like the narrow sight window. However, many shooters use the Keller with good success. I found the ABC Pivotal to be the best out there.

http://www.bowhunting.net/abc/sgf.html#top

The ABC allowed me to make a quick and easy adjustment for stands of different heights, and to set the pendulum to correspond with the speed of my bow.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

I think it depends on what your typical shot distance is. I think that the pendulum is really helpful if you have a situation where you get many up close shots say 7-15 yards with the occasional far shot say 28-32. On those up close steep angle shots the kill zone is smaller and the pendulum will give you a little more precision, without having to compentate as you would with one pin.

If most, say 95% of your shots are coming in at 15-25 yards then one pin will be fine.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:21 PM
Spike

I agree with the above posts.. my pendulum works from 0 to about 40 yards... I can use it as a fixed position one pin sight and it goes to 65 yards..
not that I would ever shoot that far in the wild.
even 40 yards is a long shot!
Old 06-24-2004, 04:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I used a pendulum for years but have found if you draw your bow straight out and bend at the waist there is no need to use a pedulum. I'm sighted in for 20 yrds and hold dead on out to 30 useing 1 pin.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

c903- I have owned many pendulum sight`s in the past and most of these sight`s after a period of time would start to make some type of noise do to maby bearring or someting like that. Sence you own one of these sight`s. Does it make a lot of noise when you shoot it? From the pic it seems to be well made and i like the pins that can be set at diffrent yrd`s for ground shooting.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:04 PM

I used one of the first models of the ABC and found it very quiet. However, that does not mean that all things remain the same and are always the same for everyone. I found the sight to be quite accurate in finding the range and was more forgiving on inclined terrain than other pendulums were. Never had any problems with moisture and cold weather.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

My firt deer shot with a pendulum was 39 yds the second one was shot 2-3 days later from the same tree, same trail at 32 yds. That was with a Keller, now I switched to a quick click ranger from savage and spoke to the owner of the co. When I got it and he states taking deer out past 45 yds is common, depending on bow speed.