Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Let's talk Pendulums... >

Let's talk Pendulums...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Let's talk Pendulums...

Old 09-16-2002, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Let's talk Pendulums...

Assume one is only interested in a hunting sight to use from elevated stands, shouldn't a pendulum be the main thing to consider? I know the knock on them is the potential to be off on severe downhill or uphill, but these should be rare and could be compensated for before hand. For instance, this year I'll be focusing my efforts on a piece of property.

Properly set up and sighted in, a pendulum would compensate for yardage, and allow one to use a heavier arrow without having to worry about the trajectory out to 30 yards or so. Using a faster arrow could even stretch this range if a perfect opportunity presented itself (buck lays down broadside and goes to sleep).

What say ye?

Old 09-16-2002, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Let's talk Pendulums...

I have used Pendulum sights for about 5 years I think and I will never go back to fixed pins unless my style of hunting changes, I only hunt from tree stands. I have used the keller and impact tree top both are great sights but the keller is noisy and the impact is quiet. 30yrds is the max distance I fell comfortable shooting in the woods and I set my pendulum up so it shots about 3" low at 30yrds so when he jumps the string it will be right there, I have not always had it that way but after many high hits and several arrows over the deers back at the distance I have found that to be a right on. Many people say I will never use a pendulum because I don't trust them but after hearing them say they missed high or low because they missed judged the yardage at the moment of thruth and they only hunt from treestands. I just tell them I point and shot and if I miss it is almost 100% because of the idiot behind the bow not the sight.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have also used pendulums for about 5 or 6 years and recently switched to fixed last year. Since going to carbons, and shooting a new bow, I dont see the real need for one. If I want, and can sight in a single pin that would be good out to 30 yards. I really dont plan on shooting any farther, unless conditions are perfect, but the single pin would get the job done then too. Todays bows shoot flatter, and in my opinion, a sturdy fixed pin sight is the way to go. No moving parts to vibrate and make noise, and ruggedness.

I will have to say that they do work well though, and I have never had any problems with them until my run in with the Toxonics Sniper. Its really all in what you like, and want in a hunting sight.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:18 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-16-2002, 09:27 PM

Toxonics has a real cool version. I think it is the best one I have seen in a long time.

Old 09-16-2002, 11:32 PM
Typical Buck

I also shoot a Keller and if you put the pin on it then the arrow is there.Last year I had a turkey at 26 paces. I put the pin on the wing butt and released. When I dressed it I found I had busted the wing joint EXACTLY where the pin was.
SF

Old 09-17-2002, 01:37 AM

Good pendulums are good sights. However, you cannot cut corners on cost.

Check out the ABC pendulum sight. I shot an earlier version and was very impressed. Previously, I had owned several other brands, but none were as good as the ABC. I do not know how good the new model is. Sounds like it is much improved.

I am shooting a 1-pin setup (static sight) this year. However, I keep going back and forth as to whether I should have installed a good pendulum. Experience has shown that a good "swinger" does assist the one constant that all bowhunters face; distance estimation.

http://www.bowhunting.net/abc/sgf.html#order

Old 09-17-2002, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I ordered a Savage Pendulum max yesterday. Very solid looking, and I know Savage makes quality stuff. I'll post a review when it gets here and I can tinker with it.

Old 09-17-2002, 07:41 PM

I tried the Toxonics Sniper pendulum this year and went back to a fixed pin the thing was way to noisy And as hard as I tried to get the thing accurate It just would'nt work with my set up. I agree with Moonage its the coolest looking one I ever seen too thats why I bought it,I will never buy one again. A good range finder always helps as far as judging distance.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:58 PM
Spike

I love pendulum sights I use to shoot the regular cobra pendulums but I don't always hunt from a stand I wanted a pendulum for stand or ground blind hunting. Well I made a good choice last season by choosing the SAVAGE FEATHER WEIGHT pendulum sight I got the camo with the fiber optic pin. Man I like it a lot it brings in a lot of light. The best thing about it is you Sight it in from 20 yards on the ground and your good from nearly right under your treestand out to 30 yards and deadly on the ground. After 30 yards it depends on your bow speed I'd guess.
If I were to get another one it would be savage. They offer differnt packages as far as type, color bracket (black/camo) and pin brightness and right and left hand.
I would check them out.
Good luck!!

Quick Reply: Let's talk Pendulums...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.