Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Baiting for hogs, need suggestions. >

Baiting for hogs, need suggestions.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Baiting for hogs, need suggestions.

Old 06-06-2004, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Baiting for hogs, need suggestions.

If a cow comes to the corn, just let it walk.

Nah, a blunt usually will get their attention in a hurry. The corn buried in the hole works great.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

Well, based on your advice, I purchased a 50lb bag of corn and a garbage can from Home depot. Poured the corn in and covered it with one inch of water. The next day, the water was absorbed by the corn so I added a little more. The receipe has been cooking in my driveway, absorbing the florida heat. By Saturday, it will be 6 days old and I will put at least half out (in the post holes) and let the other half brew for another week. This will allow me to begin attracting them to the area and can then replenish the source the day before I plan to hunt.

It should make things much easier and ensure the kid gets a hog, but hog hunting on my property is never easy. I am anxious to see how this works. Last year, we poured molasis, corn and Hog Wild in the area and never saw a hog. I think the problem was, we poured the bait out the night before we hunted the area and the hogs did not have time to find it. Hopefully the above strategy solves this problem.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you want the hogs to find the goodies faster, smear some peanut butter on the brush around the area you've baited.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fill a coffee can with corn and pour beer over it. Let it sit in the sun for about 5 days. Then bury it up to the lid in your hog area. They'll tear it up.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:24 PM

Sounds crazy but a couple of rugs soaked in diesel fuel and wrapped around the base of a tree works very well. not so much fuel that they are dripping but wrapeed around the tree and then sprayed lightly. they rub up against said tree and it keeps bugs off of them. they will flat dig a trench around a tree.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

tealboy , let us know how it goes , sour corn has allways worked for me .
Old 06-09-2004, 07:32 AM
etw

Whew, My favorite, you modify for your container. I use a 55 gallon drum with a ventilated lid. Pour in 100 pounds of corn, 100 pounds of sorgham, 10 pounds of sugar, several packets of yeast, several packets of strawberry jello, and a six pack of your least favorite beer. Cover with water, I use warm pond water since I don't want the chemicals in drinking water to mess with my yeast Wait a month. I hang a 3 gallon bucket of the stuff, liquid and all, about 2 feet off the ground AND the post hole trick. Your best bet is to hunt at night when its HOT summertime Florida or Texas HOT. Hang it and they will come!!!
Old 06-09-2004, 09:19 AM

First, I'll say that my best results have come from using plain corn and Hog Wild. You can smell that Hog Wild from a few hundred yards away so ya know the hogs will pick up on it. I recently tried a new mix and have had pretty good results. I fill a bucket half full of corn, add two beers, and one or one and a half gallons of buttermilk. Cover it and let it set in the sun for a few days. Suprisingly, the smell was not too bad, but I haven't let mine soak for more that 4 days. It had almost a sweet smell to it. I say half full because the first time, I only left about an inch of room in the bucket and the swelling corn popped the lid off.
Disperse it however you feel. I like to put some in a hole or a wallow and then spread some around on the ground and even try to elevate some to help the wind carry the scent.
Good luck and yeah, let us know how you did.