Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Baiting for hogs, need suggestions. >

Baiting for hogs, need suggestions.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Baiting for hogs, need suggestions.

Old 06-05-2004, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default Baiting for hogs, need suggestions.

Last year, I took a 9 year old hog hunting in June (legal on private land in Florida). This is not the best month to hog hunt given the Florida heat but it is when we can work it out. Unfortunately, our property is not over-loaded w/ hogs and despite working hard for 4 hours, we did not even see a hog.

This year, I want to improve our odds and would appreciate your suggestions on what i can do to put this kid on a hog. We don't have feeders on the property but it is legal to bait hogs in florida. Club members have told me that dumping a bag of corn on the ground the day before will not draw the hogs, so i need to do something better, and probably a week or more in advance.

Any ideas?

thx
Old 06-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Baiting for hogs, need suggestions.

#1 Get a 5 gallon bucket with a lid , fill with corn , fill with water untill just about to the top , inch or 2 of dry corn , put lid on wait 10 to 14 days , now you have sour corn , a powerfull hog atractant . Another bait is molasas . My advise would be to put some out at nite , go before sunrise and put somemore out and wait , they'll come , if they are within a 1/2 mile or so .
Old 06-05-2004, 05:04 PM

Kind of a rip off of the above post, but several guys that I know soak corn in hawaiian punch before putting it out. Get enough of that stuff out there and play the wind right, and yall should be in business.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:21 PM

Trust the above post there is alot of hogs between him a me.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

same as above with the sour corn but dont just dump it in a pile on the ground the hogs will eat it all and move on.

The best way is to ge a post hole digger and put in a few holes fill the holes with the soured corn then back fill with dirt.

The hogs will keep coming back till all the corn is gone.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Almost the same as above, except we take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with corn add a cup of sugar and 3 beers. What this does is it sours the corn using the yeast from the beer which feeds on the sugar. Take a post hole digger and dig as deep as you can. fill the hole and cover with dirt. We did this and had a hole that was more than waste deep and 6 ft. in diameter....just try it. It WILL work.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:34 AM
Typical Buck

Some great suggestions, thank you. Just a few questions for clarification.

Should I pour the sour corn into the hole a week before I plan to hunt the area or will they find it if i do it the night before.

Is the purpose of covering the corn with dirt to keep them from eating it all in one night?

I have lots of cows on the property. Will they eat the sour corn or should I run a strand of barb wire? Maybe the hole/dirt will keep the cows out??
Old 06-06-2004, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

Like many have said, the sour corn works great. You can also try some "Hog Wild". It is usually carried at most feed stores. Just follow the directions on the bag and get an arrow nocked. If the conditions are right on your property you will have all the hogs you can handle in short order. Hogs will come of breading age in about six months and will usually have two liters a year with as many as 10 piglets. LOL
Old 06-06-2004, 10:06 AM

I have lots of cows on the property. Will they eat the sour corn or should I run a strand of barb wire? Maybe the hole/dirt will keep the cows out??
If a cow comes to the corn, just let it walk.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 3 Step

If a cow comes to the corn, just let it walk.
Yep I agree with that as they are a b*tch to drag out

Should I pour the sour corn into the hole a week before I plan to hunt the area or will they find it if i do it the night before.
Yes it will take them a while to find it but they will keep coming back till it is all gone.

Quick Reply: Baiting for hogs, need suggestions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.