Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Baiting Hogs II

Old 02-28-2007, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Baiting Hogs II

This is a question I had in a post a while back about using diesel fuel....
"I'm curious about the corn laced with diesel fuel....is the diesel smell or taste an attractantor is the diesel there to repel other corn eaters?"
Anybody help me before I put it in a mess of corn I'm souring?

Old 02-28-2007, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Baiting Hogs II

both
Old 02-28-2007, 06:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Diesel will attract hogs. Some people soak a piece of carpet in diesel and hang it a foot of the ground. Hogs like to rub on it to help with the tick problem.. Now I've never done this, just have heard of others doing it.

If diesel works that good, I was thinking of spraying in on my boots as a cover scent. Just a thought. I have used vanilla for dear, wonder if that would work on pigs? May try it next time.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know for sure that deer WILL eat dieseled corn. I caught 3 deer in my hog trap last year using it. Deer will also eat soured corn too. I caught a deer in my hog trap this fall on soured corn.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is a new one on me but I'm not too surprised. I always thought the desiel was to repel coons.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: The Rev

Diesel will attract hogs. Some people soak a piece of carpet in diesel and hang it a foot of the ground. Hogs like to rub on it to help with the tick problem.. Now I've never done this, just have heard of others doing it.

If diesel works that good, I was thinking of spraying in on my boots as a cover scent. Just a thought. I have used vanilla for dear, wonder if that would work on pigs? May try it next time.
Vanilla works good. I tried it, but the problem I found when trapping was when I used vanilla I seemed to catch everything, from deer to calves. I only caught hogs when the hogs smelled it first.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know about diesel on corn, but I've noticed hogs seem to be attracted to creosoted posts. I've seen treated corral posts that were rubbed shiny from the hogs, and, the ground around them literally dug out from the heavy use. Wonder if soaking a post in diesel and setting it in the ground would attract the same use?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I personally have never used Diesel in the soured corn, but have wrapped Burlap feed sacks soaked in diesel around fence posts and periodically go around resoaking them.

Ican tell you,the best attractant we ever used up to 4 or 5yrs ago, was the waste from the Beer Vatsfrom theBudweiser Brewery about 11 miles from me. They would sell it to Camden Grain and they would sell it to the farmers for $10 in your own 55galdrum. One drum would do 3 feeders. Not only that they loved it, but got one heck of a Buzz to boot!

But the brewery is no more, only Bush Gardens!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Not only that they loved it, but got one heck of a Buzz to boot!

How funny. The hogs are getting drunk and chasing men... Some things just don't change..

Old 02-28-2007, 08:27 PM

If you put something sweet out I dont think they will eat it! this picture is a hog rubbing on some molasses i poured on a cresote log. I have hundreds of pictures looking over 3 traps and never have I seen them eat anything sweet! I have put diesel on corn but just to keep deer out of it I dont think it works any better! The thing that worked best for me is bury a five gallon bucket flush with the ground pour it half full of corn then pour two-three cans of cheep beer in and half a bottle of apple cider then 1 gallon water FROM STOCK TANK OR CREEK NOT TAP WATER! They love the beer! after all its fermented grain.

Quick Reply: Baiting Hogs II

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.