Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Baiting Hogs

Old 02-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Spike

Default Baiting Hogs

What are some good recipes for baiting hogs, this will be used on public land & are not sure exactly where they are concentrating. I scouted today and found several tracts, but no wallers.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Baiting Hogs

RE: Hog Scents/Attractants
Old 02-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't tried this stuff yet but it's kinda similar to souring maize for catfish....
http://feralhogs.tamu.edu/bait.cfm
Old 02-22-2007, 07:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: rtread

I haven't tried this stuff yet but it's kinda similar to souring maize for catfish....
http://feralhogs.tamu.edu/bait.cfm

This is pretty much what I do and it works great. I don't use yeast. You can use just plain water, you can add the cool aid or jello, some like to use butter milk. You can also use Milo instead of corn, it works good too.. In a pinch and you don't have time to do this on your way out hunting, stop and buy a 10 pound bag of potatoes, cut them in 1/2 inch slices and spread by a feeder. This will get their attention, and keep their nose to the ground giving you time to pick out which one you want to bar-b-que..

Old 02-22-2007, 07:34 AM

dieseled corn works well and stops coon and deer from eating it. also check your location, some public land you can not bait
Old 02-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Strawberry jello works pretty good.

I'veused the corn/diesel blend when trapping. Also just taking the bait bucket, digging a whole to put it in, covering it with a piece of plywood or something so the coons can't reach it, and then placing the trap on top of it. The hogs would still enter the trap to investigate the smell.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Fork Horn

This is what I do. Mix corn with brown sugar and red soda about a week before. It gives the corn a bad but sweet smell at the same time. When I put it out I add more red soda and add Hog Wild to it. Some times it works a little to good.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I put some corn and Hog Wild in some post holes Saturday AM. When I hunted last night there were some huge holes where I dug the post holes. I'll be refilling them Friday evening for a Saturday hunt. This time I'm going the cheap way and using store brand cool-aide. Now that the feeding area is established I don't need the high $ stuff.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Spike

Does the diesel fuel not affect the meat? also has anyone tried the apple flavored corn?
Old 02-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good question about the fuel. That is one reason I've never tried it. I get good results with corn and fruit flavorings so there isn't a reason for me to try. The potato thing is new to me though. Rev are ya gonna bring a sack Saturday?

Quick Reply: Baiting Hogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.