Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 advice for a Newbie >

advice for a Newbie

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

advice for a Newbie

Old 06-01-2004, 07:56 AM

Default advice for a Newbie

Hi from France...

I actually shoot a 70#/28" PSE dakota and I plan to change it to go to a lighter and shorter axle/axle.
I use it for deer hunting (they are pretty smaller than yours:the biggest bucks are arround 70lbs)
and for boar hunting.

I can't find every brand name in the proshops arround my location so my choice is limited.
I have selected the following Brand/models:
Reflex/buckskin
Hoyt/ultramag
Bowtech/patriot single
Bowtech/liberty
Another thing that is very important to know is that the minimum legal arrow weight is 470 grains.
Could you give me your feelings on this list

Thanks
Old 06-01-2004, 08:00 AM

Default RE: advice for a Newbie

People can give you all the advice in the world but the bottom line is personal preference. You need to find what works for you and what you are comfortable with. Once you find that it seems like the deer magically come.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:51 AM

Bienvenue Ã* bord, lebut!

I take it when you say you are wanting to go to a shorter ATA, the "Dakota" must be in somewhere in the 39" to 43" range (ATA). Does your hunting conditions demand using a shorter ATA? Otherwise, why would you want to give up the smoothness and less sensitivity of a long ATA for one of those vertical crossbows without a stock?
Old 06-01-2004, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

hey letub,

I am also a newbie! Anyways I shoot a Hoyt dynatec that is 32 1/2" axle to axle. I think it shoots really well and I love it. I have a 28" draw on it and about 62 lbs. of pull. Anyway the best advice has already been given to you, hold em all and which ever seems to fit the best in your hand try shooting it and see how it works.

Good luck

Jim
Old 06-01-2004, 09:42 AM

I see your list dosn't contain the PSE Firestorm Lite. Have you had any problems withyour PSE? If you've enjoyrd the Dakota you'd probably like the Firestorm. I've had great luck with mine. 30"ATA 29"draw and certainly capeable of launching a 470g arrow.

As for which one to buy, Shoot them all. If you don't you are cheating yourself.

Good luck
Old 06-01-2004, 04:29 PM

I am getting a Bowtech Liberty this year, It is very, very smooth. But like others have said, try them out for yourself and find the one that you like the best.