Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 practice/hunting arrows >

practice/hunting arrows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

practice/hunting arrows

Old 05-31-2004, 01:42 PM

Default practice/hunting arrows

i have about a dozen arrows that i use, 8 for practice and 4 for hunting. i only use the 4 hunting ones for practice about 2 weeks before season starts to practice with my broad heads. what do you all you guys do when it comes to practice/hunting arrows?
Old 05-31-2004, 02:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: practice/hunting arrows

We have liberal limits and we do a lot of shooting. I go the other way. First thing I do when I get a new dozen arrows is test fly them all to make sure they're shooting OK. Then I put a broadhead on each one and shoot to see which ones shoot the best. I swap heads around if one doesn't seem right. I hope to get 8-10 that I call hunters... the ones that really shoot well with broadheads. I shoot them at 20, 30 and 40 yards. The best get new inserts and are put away for hunting. The 3 or 4 that are left(the worst ones) become my practice arrows. After I've shot an arrow at game 2 or 3 times it becomes another practice arrow. The hunters are tested and shot for flight testing after they're shot at an animal. If they're still REALLY good they go back in the quiver. My practice arrows are the worst ones I have. If I run low on "Hunters" I buy a new dozen and do it again. I usually start the season with anywhere from 15-20 Hunters tuned and ready to go.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:28 PM

I practice before season with the arrows I plan on hunting with. You never know how the four or five arrows you've got sitting in your quiver for hunting are going to fly if you've not had any experience shooting them.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:42 PM

I practice with what I hunt with.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:34 PM

I do about the same thing. I save my three or four best arrows to hunt with. Also I always bring an old broadhead tipped arrow with me when I hunt, and right before I climb out of my tree I take a practice shot at a leaf, twig or spot on the ground. It is a great confidence booster and gives you a good idea of how your arrows are flying in the woods under hunting conditions. Finally I NEVER hunt with an arrow that I have not practiced with.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I take the fieldpoints off and put broadheads on.I practice with what I hunt with.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:49 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cfdjay

I practice with what I hunt with.
Same here. If they don't fly good in practice, they don't go hunting. It's pretty simple.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:47 PM

Know what......I've always kept my NEW, Unshot arrows as my "good hunting arrows"......until now.

It makes really good sense to take only the arrows into the woods that have "proven" themselves. Just because they are new, doesn't necessarily mean they are good.

I've never missed a shot due to a faulty arrow......but why chance it.

Thanks guys......one more reason to read these groups.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy 3 dozen arrows to practice, 3d shoot, and turkey hunt with. Then buy another dozen a month before season and the ones that fly with my field points get to keep the broadheads. I usually have 15 or so in my arrowcase with broadheads come hunting season.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Dominant Buck

I shoot what I got. If I get a chance to pick I choose my favorites.