Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is your dedication? >

What is your dedication?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is your dedication?

Old 05-13-2004, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What is your dedication?

I hunt in three places.

My parents ranch in west Texas

Pay: $0
Year: $0
Takes me 4 hours to get there from here.

My wifes parents ranch

Pay: $0
Year: $0 but I do alot of work and buy and fix alot of things on the ranch, and I guide hog hunts for the ranch.
Takes me 45 minutes to be in a stand

Elk Hunting Lease in Colorado

Pay:Lease fee for a week: $350.00
Bull elk tag:$580
Takes 16 hours to get there

Everything else is pricesless.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:23 PM

Hey Double, I live in Decatur..its about 30 miles west of meridian... our club is called Old River I. it is on King's Point Island. just north of Vicksburg..
Old 05-13-2004, 12:49 PM

Yes I pay for a lease --- 500 bucks per year, 6 of us totals 3000 bucks for the farm.

I travel appox. 9 hrs. to get there.

However, that is my midwest hunting. I also hunt in Alabma on Private land (though not the greatest deer area), Tennessee on private land (not bad deer hunting there...) and will begin to hunt Illinois on Public land this year. I may go up to Wisconsin as well for a few days to try and bag a deer.

To me it is part convenience to lease and part safety. I always know who is out hunting. I always know that if something is happening on the property, the land owner will square it away (it helps that he is a game warden). I also know that noone else will be killing our deer.

beej
Old 05-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I probably would pay but I dont know how much. I'd rather just buy land. I drive 3.5 hrs to my favorite hunting spot(land owned by my uncle). I hunt as much as I can. During the spring and fall.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW! I guess I am spoiled. I never knew how much people spent on places to hunt. I thought hunting guides out west charged a arm and a leg. I would spend that much money if it was my only option. I glad I didn't have to for the last few years. My son was born (2002) with a lot of problems, he was life flighted to primary chidrens hosptle in Salt Lake City. The bill before insurence was almost $1,000,000. I have had to sell guns and play toys to help pay bills. I want a new bow, but hunt with my martin bought new in 1997. If it wasn't for family I wouldn't have a place for horses or a horse for that matter. Hunting is very inportant to me, but sometimes it can't or shouldn't take first priority in people lives. These last few years, it has been one of those times. I still hunted but I blended it in with my family needs.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:09 PM

I don't currently pay for a lease, but I would consider one. There is a group that leases the property right behind my house...If I could find out who they were I'd approach them about buying in.

Of the 3 places that I hunt, all are privatly owned, and I don't have to pay a dime, nor do any work. They are all great people. All within an hour drive from home, and on one we have a camper parked where we can stay whenever we want, and leave there year round. The property is currently for sale though......1.5 million....more than I can come up with right now.

My uncle and I hunt together and we have discussed buying a piece of property in upstate NY. We can't seem to get together on it though. I'm seriousley considering just buying a piece myself. Maybe even leasing some hunting rights out to help cover the cost. I wonder if there would be any groups out there that would lease a property with the agreement that they would have exclusive hunting rights, except for myself and my wife. hmmmm.......

I'm amazed when I see how far people travel.......I gripe about having to drive 45 minutes. I don't feel very lucky doing it, but I guess I am.

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

I'm posting this in response to Tealboy's post of what is this sport coming to.

Do you pay for a lease?

How much/year?

Do you travel to get there?

How far?

If you don't would you?

Me personally, I won't say I won't pay for one because who knows the future. Before I would pay for one, I would look at buying property. In fact, the property I own now was bought with hunting in mind (My wife wanted a nice neighborhood and hunting it was not on her list). I was still able to find both to keep momma happy.

I am still amazed at what someone will pay for a hunting lease. Maybe thats what it's coming to or maybe I need to look at it as another investment opportunity.