Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is your dedication? >

What is your dedication?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is your dedication?

Old 05-12-2004, 06:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Default What is your dedication?

I'm posting this in response to Tealboy's post of what is this sport coming to.

Do you pay for a lease?

How much/year?

Do you travel to get there?

How far?

If you don't would you?

Me personally, I won't say I won't pay for one because who knows the future. Before I would pay for one, I would look at buying property. In fact, the property I own now was bought with hunting in mind (My wife wanted a nice neighborhood and hunting it was not on her list). I was still able to find both to keep momma happy.

I am still amazed at what someone will pay for a hunting lease. Maybe thats what it's coming to or maybe I need to look at it as another investment opportunity.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:50 PM

Default RE: What is your dedication?

Do you pay for a lease? Not in dollars. I send Christmas cards, Venison Stew/Suasage/Jerky and try to become a steward of the property (ie leave only tracks and pick up stuff others may have left) for those that allow me to hunt their properties

Do you travel to get there? Not really

How far? Not more than 1 hr one way to about 9-11 spots with differing acreages at each. Some as small as 25 some as large as 1200

If you don't would you? Don't have t pay for a lease now so I'll say no...if my properties ever dry up I think I'd buy land myself as you did.

I'm not sure if I'm just cheap or what but I have friends that do Elk hunts out west and pay 3-4k for a 7 day hunt, 2500 for a Kansas hunt, trips to Mongolia for rams etc. I have a hard time swallowing that kind of price
for a "vacation" my whole family won't come on or enjoy if they did.

Being a chef and loving food the outdoor lifestyle really fits in well. I waste nothing when I make a kill, process it myself make sausage and other items and to me...it's my little way, small as it is, of "living with and from the land".

I'm sure I'll ruffle some feathers here but I really cast no judgement on those that do those hunts. Many only have a certain time to hunt, save up and can afford it and enjoy it. I infer no condescention in the next statement...but to me paying that much to take a trophy animal is like paying to sleep with a hooker. The feeling wouldn't be the same and the backdrop of all the hard work it takes me to get that animal would seem tainted in some way in my mind.

Leases are a different story. You still pattern, track and find your own game and the hunter ususally feels there was a perceived value and the landowner make a little jack. Win Win situation.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:06 PM
PLB

I don't pay, but I do travel. My archery deer hunting area is about a 6-7 hour drive (one way).
Old 05-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I pay for a lease to hunt, it's pretty much the Texas way. Most people have 1 of 5 choices. Lease, day hunt, guided hunt, public land & if your lucky enough own your own property. I pay $525.00 per year right now for my lease. I share 800 acres with 3 other people, and we pretty much bowhunt it exclusively.

We travel roughly 200 miles from here.

I can't say whether I would or wouldn't if I never had to do it in the past. I've only been lucky enough to hunt for maybe 3 years of my 20 year hunting carrer.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can go about 5 miles until I hit millions of acres open to the public. Some areas get hit hard but for those willing to put in the effort the hunting can be great. We have hauled out 13 elk in the last four years. Countless deer etc.

I also antelope hunt on a private ranch and all it costs us , is several bags of potatoes and onions. Oh yeh, and 1 all night barbeque with the owner. He appreciates the company.

I hunt turkey on public land and do very well. This year for the first time in my life I paid tresspass fees. It was about 200 acres of creek bottom. This went for 35 dollars a day and 50 dollars for opening day.4 of us tagged out in the same day. Our second trip cost us 2 cases of ice cream
cones and 2 beaver hides. All of which we got for free. A trip to help with fencing should lock us in for good with minimal cost.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:58 PM

Sure I pay for my lease, though it isn't in any cash amount.

I work for the landowner on the weekends, running cattle, mending fences, bucking hay, etc.

Do I travel? Does 10 minutes count?

I don't think I would pay for a lease because about 150 from where I am is the best Public Mule deer hunting around. And you'll see maybe 3 hunters during the whole season up there.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:30 PM

About 17 years ago I remember everyone laughing and tellin my dad he was crazy when he decided to buy land just for hunting when there were so many leases around.I was just a 16 year old kid at the time and remember him tellin me one of these days leases are gonna be hard to come by.We purchased 52 acres of hardwoods that is surrounded by hundreds of acres of hardwoods and pasture land.I always fill my deer tags and usually take a few hogs off it every year.Those same guys that were laughin at us now are constantly looking for a good affordable lease every year.Guys from Dallas and Fort Worth will come down and pay 2x sometimes 3x what the locals in our area can pay for local leases.I constantly hear guys say they are losing leases because the landowner had went up on the price due to the demand for deer leases around our area.See ads in the paper all the time wanting deer leases.Our land has been paid off for two years now and the money I save on deer lease I put into food plots and minerals for my deer all year long.I thank God that my dad knew what he was doing when he did this so that him me and my kids will always have a place to hunt.52 acres is not much but like I always tell other guys you dont need but 10 if it is in the right spot.My uncle has been lookin for him a place to buy since he has lost 3 leases in the last 3 years because of landowners going up.He talked to the guy who sold us ours the other day because he owns a lot of land in our area to see if he had any he might sell.The guy said he had a 35 acre block of woods he would sell for 1500.00 an acre.My uncle just laughed and walked off.You know what though he will probably get it!My dad gave $450.00 an acre 17 years ago for our place and today we probably would not take $2000.00 an acre!I know a lot of guys can not afford to buy a big chunk of land to hunt on but if you ever come across a good deal on some huntin land you should try your best to try and purchase it.There is nothing like owning your own little huntin spot being able to work your food plots and fix it up like you want without havin to worry whether or not you will have it the next year or the next.When I get in better financial shape I am plannin on takin a hunting trip every year somewhere.I want to go huntin on some of those big ranches in South Texas too one of these days.But if I could trade my little spot for a hunt on the King Ranch every year I would have to say NO Way!I have never takin a PY or BC buck on my place but I have taken a few nice ones and they taste mighty good.Sorry for the long post but if anyone has ever thought of purchasing a little spot they can call their own go ahead you will be so glad you did.Thanks
Old 05-13-2004, 05:02 AM

I would pay for a lease if I had to. but for now I just hunt public land and I have some priviate land I hunt on. I travel any were from 20min to 2 hour to get to my land. it's geting harder and harder each and every year to get land to hunt on.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:25 AM

I lived in Alabama most of my life ...........never paid to hunt ! My dad has a small farm with descent deer hunting.......know of some great public land......have 2 or 3 friends with good land.........and one buddy with a huge farm that is awesome ! Man I was spoiled......killed a nice buck or two every year for 9 or 10 years !! Landed one P&Y'r !!

Moved to South Carolina.........start trying to find public land.......it's not open to the public all season,like Alabama ! Meet some folks......all of them are like.....I'll take you.......but somehow it never works out ! Trying to line up a scedule between work , my 2 year old boy, and the wife.......so I can hunt the public land on certain weekends was just too hard ! Got in on a lease for $800 bucks a year.......seemed outragous.....but it was somewhere to hunt ! Two years later.......I had hunted the worst land I have ever hunted in my life........18 members.....2000 acres........total of 15 deer killed......3 bucks(none of which I would have shot) ! I killed 2 does with a bow.........and you would have thought I was Fred Bear to the rifle hunters that didn't even get a shot on a doe !

Well have a friend that picked up 365 acres bordering 2 huge hunting farms that are trophy managed and a wildlife refuge ! On one hunt .....I saw more bucks in SC that I have in the 2 years I have hunted and the 5-6 previous year just coming to visit !! They killed 3 .......120ish bucks this year.......wich is a dink a lot of places........but here they are trophy deer. SC record books for "gun" starts at 125 " !! Most of the bucks killed I have seen are 60-80 " deer !!

So to make a long story longer.........it's $2500 bucks for 365 acres......tough to swallow........but I just gotta do it !! I'm sure a lot of you would .......if you were in my shoes !!

Hopefully I'll have a good pic of mature buck in velvet ......come late August to show you guys !!
Old 05-13-2004, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been looking for 5 years with no luck. I have even gone so far as to drive around all day on Saturday putting fliers out at every rural gas station and feed store within a 100 miles. Still no luck!

Quick Reply: What is your dedication?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.