Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Looking for turk's and guess what I found? >

Looking for turk's and guess what I found?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Looking for turk's and guess what I found?

Old 04-17-2004, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Looking for turk's and guess what I found?

This morning I got up at 5:30AM and headed for the bushes to find out where all the turkey's were in the bush that I hunt . I never heard a thing till 7:00AM and it was a long way's away as it turned out I heard 3 gobbles and that was it ,I didn't use any turkey call's since I don't want to educate the bird's in my bush. All the gobbles I heard were quite a way's away but they would only gobble omce at a time ,so it was hard to track them down .All year these bird's have been roosting in the creekbed up near the front of the bush were I was but now they seem to have relocated ,hopefully they'll make their way back up front to the creekbed before it open's next Fri.

Anyway's while I was there I thought I might just as well have a look around some of the spot's that I hunted deer last season on the same propert.I found 34 rub's from last season in a very small thicket that has wild raspberry cane's and other thick brush ,I had seen this buck on severel occasion's last season in this vicinity or near this thicket but never realized he was spending time in it ,but now I know where he's been hanging out . It could be a great spot for a ground blind under a wild apple tree in the middle of this spot and trail's that lead all around it ,with a little trimming and cutting of some shooting lane's just maybe this buck will get a surprise. I'd like to know if you guy's think that this buck would use this same area again this season .Do buck's commonly use the same rub line's or do they change every season? I'd like to know this so that I could prepare for next fall. should I clear it out now during turkey season or wait till later in the summer?

Please give your opinion's because I don't want to be in there too early or even worse too late. Thank's guy's

Nubo
Old 04-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking for turk's and guess what I found?

John--wooh, the season opens Monday, April 26th and NOT next Friday--please don't venture out there next Friday with you bow--you'll be jumping the season!!
As for the buck--not all bucks would visit the same rub year after year, some do--some don't. IMO. I've hunted over rub lines and never saw the buck during the hunt hours, yet he would show up on the camera after I've left my stand at various hours during the night.
What you've found there are 'signs' that a buck is in the area. There's no harm in setting up a stand there, but be careful with a ground blind--that's a bit more technical to set up and can fumigate the area more than you would like. Try and find his trails in and out of the area and set up at least two stand location so you could hunt the wind, don't hang out in the area the buck seems comfortable in, as you 'will' force him to vacate and change his habits.
Look for a pattern, we all have them, give him his space--let 'him' make the mistake--it becomes a hide and go seek--you've see him (signs)-- he can 'smell you' --now the hunt begins!!!
Old 04-17-2004, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Looking for turk's and guess what I found?

Keith ! I'm so used to it being open on a Fri that i just assumed that Fri it was .Thank's for that bit of info.This buck seem's to be hanging around there a lot .Last season I seen him very close to this spot so I know his trail in and I've seen him cross the field so now I know his exit as well.
Both these spot's. are right there.I sat -up near his entrance last year and got cold so I went for a walk and when I returned He was standing right in front of my set-up ,at this time I was unaware of this area that he was working but it all make's sense now. There is a couple good location's on which I can set-up a stand entrance and exit so that's what I'll do but I'll ask Barry if he's o.k. with it before I do ,he's pretty o.k. with just about anything but i don't want to take for grantite his hospitality.
You'll havre to come down for a turkey hunt and I'll show you this spot .

nubo