Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 03-17-2004, 03:52 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-17-2004, 05:21 PM

Default RE: Why can't I pull more weight?

I don't know whats wrong with you man. I've been shooting the same 70# Bear Whitetail II since I was 15 and it only has 45-50% letoff. It all depends on your build. Some people build muscle quickly while others struggle, but it just takes time. Go out and shoot as many rounds as you can until you start loosing your proper form. Rest for 3-4 days and go out and do it all over again. After a few weeks you will notice that it takes a long time for you to tire. This is the time to increase your draw weight a few pounds. Pushups and dips work well for me. They really hit the chest and triceps. Also curls and bent rows for the back and biceps. Got to have some balance. 30-40 mintues 3 times a week of cardiovascular wouldn't hurt you either. It will increase your bloodflow and endurance. Happy Hunting
Old 03-17-2004, 06:59 PM

the most i have pulled is 94 lbs and hunted with 81lbs. but an am also 6'8" and 250lbs. thats pretty good sized. with todays bows you dont need all that draw weight. ted nugent hunts with 55 lbs in north america nad in africa he bumps it up to 65lbs. 65 should be all you need. now i pull 70lbs it feels great to me.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:05 PM

Heck Kevin, at 6'8", you don't even need a treestand do you?
Old 03-17-2004, 08:26 PM

Note to self:

Never, I mean never tell the world if you have a problem drawing a bow back
Just suck it up - point to the sky and PULL man PULL.......................
Old 03-17-2004, 08:32 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-17-2004, 08:37 PM

LOL at Rack-attack. That was funny.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:11 PM

I'm five eight and 145 lbs I pull 65 lbs on my bow NOW. When I started i had serious problems with 50#. However I kept at it and now I'm cranking it up every two weeks. I started with a goal, 20 arrows a day seven days a week (minutes and hours didn't matter). To date at 65 lbs I am shooting 60 to 100 arrows a day (still no matter to minutes or hours) and have a goal of 60 to 100 shots a day until I get to 70#. The pain I felt was worth the progress I made. Now I have no pain and am cranking it up 3lbs for next months regimen. Also I am shooting at 18 yards (that's as much room as my back yard allows SAFELY and hitting the 10 ring consistently (my ten ring is the plastic top off a "I can't believe its not butter tub") pinned to an Eternity target. Whatever you can glean from this post is yours for encouragement. Keep at it you will experience success.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

The real answer is quite simple, in fact it is a question...WHY do you want to pull more than you're capable of to begin with? My advice is to drop the bow to 55lbs (or buy one that maxes out there) and shoot it. You will be more comfortable, and more of your shots will be accurate shots. I personally used to regularly shoot bows well over 90lbs back when I was young and stupid just for a faster arrow and to be "muy macho", but the fact is is that nowadays you can get decent speed with a carbon arrow, and todays' bows develop more energy than those of yesteryear, so we do not need to worry about KE all that much either unless targeting very large game.

My advice is to shoot what is comfortable for you, and don't worry one bit that you cannot comfortably pull 70 lbs.

If it makes you feel any better towards the guys who can pull 70lbs, back when we used to pull 90+ lbs anyone who shot "only" 70lbs was a wuss![8D] Bottom line is to not worry about it and shoot what is comfortable to you, and kick their tails on the range if you so choose--- when hunting it simply doesn't matter unless you are going for Rhino, Cape Buffalo, or other massive game. I sell more 60lb bows in my shop than I do 70's, those "muy Macho" days are dwindling because people are now learning to get set up correctly and learning to shoot what is comfortable instead of "I HAVE to shoot a 70lber or my friends will break my nads" . That's just stupid.

#1 rule---Tune the bow to YOU, Not tune YOU to the bow. Your shooting will improve dramatically if you follow this rule and forget about the scale. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 03-18-2004, 06:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some good suggestions here...and some really smart a... comments as well. I hope some of you guys know this gent and if not then this is one heck of a baptism by fire....

Two thoughts came to mind as I read through this. One, P12 is correct and so is Arthur. Shoot what feels comfortable for you now and gradually work your way up in draw weight slowly over a long period of time. This will give your muscles a chance to develop accordingly.

Second, 60 lbs is not necessarily 60 lbs when you are referencing the wide variety of bows out there today. The cam style, specifically, can make one bow more difficult to pull (or easier) than another. I would suggest trying out two bows. The first bow should have a relatively easy drawing cam but be a 70 lb peak draw weight bow. The second bow should have a much stiffer cam but be a 60 lb peak draw weight bow.

See which one you prefer to shoot and go from there. Speaking of which...which bow are you shooting now?

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.