Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 03-16-2004, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Why can't I pull more weight?

Pulling more weight takes time but it can be developed regardless of your phyiscal size. Both me and my son shoot tournaments and hunt in all kinds of weather with 80# bows. The best exercise I've came up with are push ups. The other activity that uses the exact same muscle group is swimming. Since I sink I do the push-ups. Give it time and work a few pounds at a time and it will come. Remember, you will never shoot 70# if you only shoot 60# bows.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Since you're already comfy at 60 pounds, get yourself a bow that draws 60 pounds at the low end of it's draw weight range. Try to shoot every other day. It's very important to allow your muscles a day of rest between sessions or you will impede your progress. Shooting only once a week or less will also impede your progress.

So, we'll assume you'll shoot every other day. Once a week, increase the draw weight by a half turn on the limb bolts. That lets your muscles adapt slowly and, unlike weight lifting, you'll be strengthening the specific muscles and supporting muscles you'll be using to shoot.

You'll be shooting 70 pounds within a couple months and likely won't ever notice the weight increase - except for probably needing stiffer spined arrows at some point.

And definitely concentrate on using those back muscles instead of the arms!
I suggest this
Old 03-16-2004, 12:03 PM

get a good sized dumbell and get on all fours on a bench or something similar and let your right? arm hang down and pull it staright up to the side of your chest. . . .. but dont bend the arm in , this will work your pec more than your back. . . . .or u could just shoot alot more and hold your bow as long as possible like deeznutz said
Old 03-16-2004, 12:28 PM

You say you're not a big fellow...well neither am I. I'm 5'9" 170lbs (10#'s overweight). I shoot comfortably at 65#'s, but I can draw a lot more than that. I don't work out much. I'm just wondering if you're using the right muscles. I like the advice of having a proshop help you out.
One thing that would concern me is if you can't pull back 70#'s, how do you HOLD 60#'s for any length of time? Some hunting scenarios can have you holding a draw for quite a long time.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:37 PM

Because your a "SALLY"
Old 03-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot 70lbs and I am a big guy, 6' and weigh around 250lbs, yes I'm too heavy (FAT) but I also used to lift weights like mad so I only have a 36" belt line. Even with all that lifting I had a heck of a time drawing 60lbs when I restarted archery 5 years ago. My friends were amazed that I could't draw that much and I was embarrased.

I could do a bent over row with 110lbs of weight ( where you put one knee and one hand on a bench and draw a dumbell up to your armpit with your free arm). I thought this resembled drawing a bow ,but the position you are in when drawing a bow is hard to reproduce with free weights.

I went out and picked up a rubber band type bow arm excersiser from bass pro. with this I could work out alot more often than I could shoot, espically if you can't get to a place to shoot every day. I was supprised at how fast my bow drawing strength came up. Now I can draw a 70 pound bow silky smooth. and that's the goal . Herky jerky won't cut it .
Also make sure your form's correct, you may want someone who is experanced watch you draw. You'll be drawing that 100lb draw weight in no time.

Jim
Old 03-16-2004, 04:04 PM

Kick my ass Bowman2213????

Well then you better start your first week of training with a heavy snow boot on your kicking foot. When you can get it as high as your knee, try adding some light ankle weights ... keep up the training and within a few weeks or months you may be able to get your foot that high.

JK!!!
Old 03-16-2004, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

I just think you need to grow a set!
Old 03-16-2004, 06:16 PM

this resistance training to your arm is important as mentioned previously but i do not think anyone has mentioned core stabililty yet. Your abdominal/obliques play a large part in drawing and maintaining draw for a long time. Lots of people forget all about this and concentrate on biceps, triceps, pecs, deltoids etc,....i am a phys ed student and i see this kind of thing everyday. you need to train more than one area to be effective......

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.