Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What treestand to use? >

What treestand to use?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What treestand to use?

Old 02-29-2004, 12:02 PM

Default What treestand to use?

I am fairly new to bowhunting, so I need some help here. I am in the market to buy a treestand for Deer hunting. What do you guys use for your bowhunting? I would like to be able to shoot from sitting and standing positions.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: What treestand to use?

You have to decide if you want a climbing stand, chain or strap on portable stand. Will you be hunting several different areas, one area, etc. Climbing stands are great for lots of mobility, lock on portable stands are nice when you will be hunting the same spot several times.

However you decide to go or what your needs are, there are many great stand companies in the market......and there are also a few that I personally just won't use. In my opinion Lone Wolf and Summit stands are two of the best. They both make great climbing stands and portable strap on stands. Lone Wolf user here and looking to adding their Alpha strap on stand to my arsenal before this season.

If you want an open front on a climber for shooting while sitting, I suggest the Lone Wolf Alpha Sit-n-Climb, Lone Wolf Hand Climbing combo, Summit Bushmaster or Summit Cobra.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:06 PM

I forgot to mention I prefer a climber model. I like the Summit Viper XLS Tree Stand, however it has the closed front but that is what I like also (safety and feel more comfortable). I don't think I would be able to shoot from a sitting position though. I'll be hunting over thickets in 2 different areas and may also hunt public land (Maybe?).
Old 02-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

With the Lone Wolf Alpha Climber, the climbing bar can be moved out of the way when you reach your desired height to make for the open front. The 2004 Summit Cobra model now features a climbing bar that also moves out of the way.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:40 PM

I use homemade stands.....I have several permanent wooden stands built on mail trails leading to feeding areas. I really love these stands because they are big and sturdy but it takes a good afternoon to build them and they will rot out in a few years. Also once these stands go up they aren't going anyplace which is also a bit of a negative...I also build plain hanging stands with the square tube metal that we use for making cattle gates and some expanded metal for my platform. These are pretty good but they take a while to make and you have to have access to a welder, grinder and various other tools. When i built them i made a few at once kind of like an assembly line and that seemed to speed things up...I don't like these as much as my permanent stands but the hanging stands are versatile unlike the permanent ones.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:45 PM

I have a Lone Wolf Alpha Sit-n-Climb that works great. I added a pad to the seat and wrapped camo tape around the bar you sit on when you climb. It sets up/takes down quickly and quietly, is fairly light, and grabs the tree well.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Check what's legal in your area. Some states do not allow the use of screw in type tree steps. Anyway, I've found it easier to pack a climber into a hunting area in lieu of a chain on with steps.
I have an old Loggy Bayou, but it I were to buy a new one today, it would prbably be one of the Summit climbers. I like the new folding model. And the flexible rubber coated cable from what I understand is really quiet.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:49 AM

one word SUMMITsummitstands.com
Old 03-01-2004, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: xibowhunter

one word SUMMITsummitstands.com

I'm with him on this one. No better stands in the hunting world. Not a better company to deal with either. Do a search on the site for tree stands and you'll see......Nothing bad said about these stands. All good!!!!!
Old 03-01-2004, 03:12 PM

I have two summit vipers one XLS and one of the heavier steel ones i love both of them but I think the XLS is better it's definatly lighter and i think it holds to the tree alot better.

Quick Reply: What treestand to use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.