Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 "Favorite" BS in a magazine/video? >

"Favorite" BS in a magazine/video?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Favorite" BS in a magazine/video?

Old 02-21-2004, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: "Favorite" BS in a magazine/video?

wow, finally a really great thread!
heres my list.
on the hunting shows, when they later shoot different scenes of the "hero" drawing his bow, raising his rifle, whispering to the camera or guide or whatever, you can always tell, its always from an angle that would have been impossible. yukkkk
saw one a while back when one of the more famous heros was hunting in texas, in a giantic blind. he was totally decked out in camo, while his family and buddy in the same blind were in civies. anyway, this deer (not sure what breed) is eating out of a feeder right in front of him, and me makes the shot.....proud moment
i was trying to sell a story to a bowhunting magazine, and the editors emailed me saying that they needed how too stories, not hunting stories, because thats what the readers want, when in every issue, we get to see what animal the guide got the editor close to. i guess im just not cool

this was a great one too
a while back, i dont even remember the hunting show, but this dude was hunting elk behind a high fence out east, and after a few failed stalks (how do ya screw that up) he shoots a small raghorn, then for the rest of the show is bragging up his "trophy four point" oh boy
i could go on this forever, maybe later ill drop some more
brad
Old 02-21-2004, 10:05 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

"You have to align the vanes with the broadheads."

"Single cam bows never need tuning."

"You need a 70# bow to kill an elk, unless it's your wife/daughter/girlfriend, then 45# is OK." (Like the elk would care!)

"I can't shoot for sh#t at targets, but I never miss on game."

I've heard plenty more, but that's all I can remember at the moment.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

A "TV" hunter going after turkeys has one come in and just as he is about to draw, the turkey is outa there in a big hurry.
The hunter turns and says "the wind swirled and the turkey pick up our scent."
Old 02-22-2004, 12:08 PM
Typical Buck

You NEED to carry a cough silencer.

The Deer view mirror is a good investment
It's hard to believe hunters actually pay real money
for garbage like this[:'(]! The first time I saw each of
these products advertised, I thought it was some type
of joke[&:]. There are some ridiculous products on
the market, but these two have to be at the top of the
list!
Old 02-22-2004, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

The cough silencer might actually be worth the money IF IT WORKED! But everyone I have ever chatted with online that tried one said it wasn't any better than just covering your mouth with your hands when you cough. The DEERVIEW MIRROR on the other hand is the dumbest thing I have ever seen advertised on television. And thats saying a lot. The first time I saw it I also thought it was a joke commercial. I bet if you buy that thing your name gets put on some secret government list of completely hopeless dumbasses.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:19 PM

i also get a kick out of these shows when they are rifle hunting and the shot clearly nails the guts of the deer. You see hair and gut flyin off that deer yet they whisper "oh he's hit good". Now i am not sure if its a televsion law that they can't shoot more than once at a deer or what the scoop is but i have yet to see more than one shot at an animal. But if it were me that made that gut shot i wouldn't worry about whispering to the camera but rather puttin another bullet into him...Don't make a bad shot look like a good one and let the deer run off, do the deer a favor and crack him again. It maybe isn't that pretty but i'd sooner shoot a deer a few times then have to track him for 1/2 mile gutshot...
Old 02-22-2004, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

im back...actually i could go on forever on some of this

goes along with that crap about them making a bad hit on tv, then trying to play it off like a double lunger, i think it is REALLY cool when they finally find the animal, and it isnt the same one they hit the first time. geez

okay, ill drop it for a while
Old 02-22-2004, 07:04 PM

What is a deer view mirror?
Old 02-22-2004, 09:10 PM

I have two all time favorites:

1 - When a guy is deer hunting, advertising for some company that sells scent elimination products, and you KNOW the deer smells him because of the way the deer reacts, but heaven forbid the guy say he got smelled and undermine his sponsor. Instead, he says something like" That buck just SENSED something wasn't right"
or "That buck got scared, must be a bigger buck around" or my all time favorite excuse, on a sunny day hunt I actually saw the guys say "he must have seen our shadow on the ground"!!! BULL!!

2 - I don't know if you guys will remember, but 10-15 years ago I saw an ad for HEN URINE, to be used to fool "Ole big Tom" into range. It was a magazine ad that showed two guys with two big toms supposedly shot "while using the hen urine" - CRAP!!

I know I said 2, but I just remembered one more.

Lately, on the Outdoor Channel, I've seen a commercial for some type of mineral, supplement or something to grow big bucks, then it shows two guys with two bucks . One buck is a 1-1/2 yr old 6 or 8 point , under it is the word "BEFORE" in big letters, the buck next to it is a very mature trophy buck with the word "AFTER" printed below it. It's obvious one buck is a baby and the other is mature, and you have to also realize that both bucks were killed at the same time, not "before" and "after". But they expect us to be stupid enough to believe the difference is due to their product. BULL LONEY!!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2004, 06:42 AM

When an aauthor says that once a deer knows he's being hunted, the gig is up. What??? I don't think I've ever shot a deer past the first week of bow season that didn't realize he was being hunted. Must be nice to have large unhunted ranches with tame deer.

Quick Reply: "Favorite" BS in a magazine/video?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.