Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anybody got an AWESOME deer jerky recipe?? >

Anybody got an AWESOME deer jerky recipe??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody got an AWESOME deer jerky recipe??

Old 01-08-2004, 09:14 AM

Default Anybody got an AWESOME deer jerky recipe??

I would like to try some others recipe for killer jerky, but the kind i had this year really tasted awful, and i wondered if any of you guys had a good recipe for me to try.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:50 AM

Default RE: Anybody got an AWESOME deer jerky recipe??

Avidbowhunter,

Freeze hindquarters or whatever part of deer you want to jerky.
In a large Turkey Pan-place the following:
6 cans Apricot Juice (main ingredient)
2 cans Beer (your choice and optional)
1 Bottle of Lea & Perrins Worchester Sauce
1 Bottle of Soy Sauce
1 Bottle of Terriayki Sauce
6 Tablespoons of Dale's Seasoning
1 Bottle/Jar of Diced Red Peppers (more if you like it hot)
2 Tablespoons of Salt
2-3 Tablespoons of Crushed Black Pepper
1 Small Jar of Diced Garlic
Cheyenne Red Pepper Seasoning (to taste)
Garlic Powder or Salt (to taste-I usually go crazy, because it is hard to go wrong)
Then add anything else that you think might make the jerky a little more tasty. I usually add Tony's Cajun Seasoning or Head Country BBQ seasoning. You could also use a small jar/bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce.

Partially thaw frozen meat. Slice venison into 1/4" thick x 2-6" long (it is a lot easier to slice thin strips when meat is partially frozen). Place venison strips into turkey pan, cover and marinate for 24 hours in refrigerator.

Once marinated - you can cook the jerky one of two ways (I've done both and both are great). First, place venison strips on smoker (low heat) for approximately 45 minutes (time may vary depending on your smoker-experiment by taste). Second, place strips on cookie sheets and place in pre-heated oven set at 200 degrees for 2 1/2 to 3/12 hours. Once again, time may vary depending on oven. Experiment by taste. You want the venison cooked but not so cooked that they dry out.

I've used this recipe many times over the years and my jerky has become famous! Good luck with making your jerky and let me know how it turns out. Now watch! Someone will take this recipe (that was simply created by myself one day in the kitchen after deer season) and they will get rich selling the jerky!
Old 01-08-2004, 09:50 AM

I will be watching this one.

I got a nice smoker for Christmas and will try my best find a way to eat venison and actually like it[:'(]

Throw in a good smoking recipe also....if you can
Old 01-08-2004, 10:47 AM

Rack,

This recipe will work awesome in your new smoker and I guarantee that you'll not only like it, you'll love it!

Sounds like you need to come to my house for a good ole, tasty, back-strap steak. It's all about preparing the meat before cooking. I'll give you some hints someday (if you want them).
Old 01-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's mine, i don't know how awesome it is but everyone who's tried it loves it and keeps coming back for more. It's simple to make and very good! You can find all the ingredients at Foodlion, except the deer meat that one's up to you

1 bottle Soy Sauce
1 bottle Hickory Smoke
1 bottle Worcheshire Sauce
Adobo Seasoning with pepper (red cap) or Sazon Seasoning if you can’t find adobo
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Black Pepper
Red Pepper (if you like it hot)

Slice deer meat to desired thickness usually 3/16 to ¼ thick
Put the hickory smoke, soy sauce and worcheshire sauce in a bowl
Place the meat in the sauce and let marinate for as long as you like, (Some people marinate their meat for hours i only go about 30 min)
Remove meat from bowl and place on hydrator tray.
Sprinkle with garlic powder,onion powder,adobo,black pepper, and (red pepper if you like it hot.) (I usually only sprinkle one side but you can do both if you prefer)
Allow meat to dry to desired texture.
Drying times will vary. If using a hydrator with a fan it will usually take about 8 hours to completely dry. If using one without a fan you may have to dry 8/10 hours then rotate the trays placing the bottom on top and visa versa and dry for 8/10 more hours. The texture of the meat will get harder the longer the meat dries so this is personnel preference of how hard or less hard you want your jerky.

Good Luck!
Old 01-08-2004, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rack, i don't know about a smoker because i don't have one but here's a good grilling recipe that i use that is very tasty that might work just as good on a smoker.

1 bottle Kraft Zesty Italian Sauce
1 pkg Lipton Beef Onion Soup Mix

Just pour the sauce and soup mix in some type of tupperware bowl and slice some deer meat (preferably backstraps) and put in the bowl with the ingredients. Take a spoon and stir it all around until the meat is covered good and then seal the bowl and put in the fridge for a couple of hours to marinate. Slap them babies on the grill or smoker and cook'em up. Be careful not to overcook the meat. I'm sure you'll like the taste.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:33 AM
Spike

Dale - how much venison would you normally use with this amount of marinade? I wasn't sure if it mattered or not - but it looks like a lot of marinade. I'd like do some small batches (1-2 lbs meat) and was wondering if I should just cut the amounts in half, quarter, or whatever? Another question for you or anyone else here - the two recipes listed do not have any "cure" in them. When I've used store-bought jerky mixes they've had a seasoning mix and a cure mix. Is that cure not needed or is it different with a liquid marinade? Thanks.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:57 AM

Go to the recipe section, I have a good jerky recipe there.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:30 PM

nbadger,

This recipe will make a lot of jerky! I don't how many pounds for sure, but you could decrease all ingredients by 1/3, 1/2 or 3/4, depending on the amount of jerky you want to make.

I usually go ahead and make all my jerky at the same time, since I'm going throught the trouble of making the marinade. I re-use the marinade until I'm out of jerky meat. Just make sure you keep the marinade refrigerated.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:33 PM

I tried an easy recipe. I cut up one of my roasts in little slabs, then i put some jerky seasoning and then put it in the oven for 6 hours at it's lowest setting. I ran out in a day, gave a little to some friends and they asked me just about every day, "when are you going to make more!!!???"

i got the seasoning at a local Farm and Home, but i am sure there have to be tons of places that sell "orignial" flavor jerky seasoning.

Quick Reply: Anybody got an AWESOME deer jerky recipe??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.