Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anybody got an AWESOME deer jerky recipe?? >

Anybody got an AWESOME deer jerky recipe??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody got an AWESOME deer jerky recipe??

Old 01-09-2004, 10:39 AM

Default RE: Anybody got an AWESOME deer jerky recipe??

Thanks guys.

Dale - I will give it a try

I can't wait to fire up the smoker. Hopefully I will like the jerky - because I really do not enjoy venison other ways.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:57 PM

Rack,

Good luck.....hope you like it!

Try this for your venison: Take a backstrap (Thawed), cut all fat, muscle and tendons out of the meat (this can take several minutes but is worth the effort). Soak backstrap in salt water for 12-24 hours (refrigerated). I usually just take a large spaghetti pan, fill it with water and pour 1/3 cup of salt and stir. Butterfly backstrap, open meat and season meat to your liking (lea&perrins, dale's seasoning, garlic powder, salt&pepper, butter), fold butterflied meat back together, take 5-7 strips of bacon and wrap around backstrap and hold together with toothpicks. Put backstrap in tupperware and season outside of steak with Itialian Dressing and all other seasonings to your liking. Place backstrap on Grill or smoker for approx. 3-5 minutes per side and eat. If you don't like this - it's no use!
Alternate recipe: Follow above directions and stuff butterflied backstrap with shrimp or prawns. Tried this the other night and it was out of this world. My wife and 2 year old daughter (neither really liked venison) were digging in for seconds and third helpings.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just smoked about 8 pounds of jerky last weekend. It was awesome. I used a pre-made maple marinade from M&J Marinades (I think that's the name) for one batch and some dry packaged seasoning (Hi Mountain) for another batch. The jerky lasted for all of about 8 hrs.!!!!!!! It took me ~2 hrs. to smoke. Don't worry about a recipe (although these all sound good) buy one of the above brands and you can't go wrong. Definitely slice when frozen and the 1/4" is a good thickness.