Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 anyone Bowhunted Buffalo? >

anyone Bowhunted Buffalo?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

anyone Bowhunted Buffalo?

Old 01-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default anyone Bowhunted Buffalo?

I have a Buffalo Bowhunt booked for next fall. If you have bowhunted them, what equipt. did you use? I plan on a 60# compound-2216 aluminum arrow & 3 Blade Titanium Rocky Mountain.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:41 PM

Default RE: anyone Bowhunted Buffalo?

Oh man, buffalo!!!! I love that stuff, but haven't gotten a chance to actually hunt one yet. We have several buffalo ranches here.

Piece of advise, remove all that "silver skin" stuff off the meat. That is the nastiest tasting stuff in the world if you don't!!!!!!

But it sure is good when you do!!!!!

Dang, now I'm hungry for some!!!!!
Old 01-07-2004, 06:10 PM

I would love to go bow hunting for buffalo. A couple of miles away there is a buffalo farm, and I did get a new bow and some arrows.......
Old 01-07-2004, 10:58 PM

I've hunted water buffalo in Australia and bison in Montana. Your setup will probably work just fine. I would recommend 2 bladed heads such as the B52 and heavy arrows. The bison has lots of hair and a thick hide. This combines to really absorb the kinetic energy from your arrow.

My bison was 10 years old. It weighed 828 lbs at the butcher shop. We have a lot of hamburger in the freezer. The meat is delicious but very lean. You might add some fat to it. We didn't because we wanted it lean but it makes it difficult to fry it.

The water buff was shot with a 72 lb compound. The arrows were the Matrix aluminum carbon shafts with a Beman carbon inside it. The broadheads were B52 100 grain. The arrows weighed about 600 grains. The arrow penetrated up to the fletch.

I used 360 ACCs, 65 lb compound and Thunderheads on the bison. The penetration wasn't nearly as good but it got the job done.

The story about the water buff will be in the April issue of Bow & Arrow Hunting magazine.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks fellas. That is why I am going with the 2216(weight). I have taken just about everything with 60 to 70 pounds so feel comfortable with my set up.
Black Bears, Elk & wild hogs being the toughest. I just need to put it in the right spot. I have had Buffalo b/4 & that is one reason I jumped on this hunt. I guess they are culling some from a ranch & that is why the hunt. Not a guareentee & not fenced, so should be fun.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never have but would love to someday [:-]
Old 01-08-2004, 09:40 PM

I've never hunted anything but deer, but if I had the chance/money I'd love to hunt buffalo. As a matter of fact, I would like to bowhunt just about anything edible...

Tonight I found out that FL has an open season on the American gater...now that sounds intriguing (sp??). If I had the money for that...wheeeeee
Old 01-09-2004, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

I shot a buffalo last year with a matthews Q2xl set at 65 lbs. Used 2315s with 125 thunderheads. I got adequate penetration but not a pass thru. Another buffalo was shot with a 7 mag at 100 yards and it didn't get a pass thru either. Both were lethal shots on mature bulls.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:41 AM

well know I havnt but I know some1 who went on safari with a double barrled rifle. He was hunting cape buffalo that day. he didnt see the buffalo it saw him and charged. the frist shot blew its jaw off and the secondshot missfired and his guide had to shoot it dead at know more than 20yds from where they stood!!!

If your doing it with a bow be careful dude.

Tomy D
Old 01-09-2004, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I try to always be careful & thanks for the reminder. I just finished a Bowhunting video about Bowhunting Wild Hogs to hopefully release very soon.
Now that was an experience-was charged several times, so it is a reminder that after 46 years of Bowhunting ALWAYS RESPECT the animal you are hunting.
hopefully, I will get whatever happens on video if I am fortunate enough to get a shot at one.