Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Having never bowhunted in the rain...... >

Having never bowhunted in the rain......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Having never bowhunted in the rain......

Old 10-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Having never bowhunted in the rain......

As long as my string is waxed....is there anything else I need to be leary of?? And...how often do you ugys wax your bow strings?

Thanks

Jeff
Old 10-21-2005, 12:24 PM

Default RE: Having never bowhunted in the rain......

I hardly ever wax my string. I wax it when I pull it out to start practicing for hunting season. Thats pretty much it.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Hunted the rain plenty of times. Some of best deer have been arrowed during and right after the rain. Simply dry your bow good after you get in and lub her up. Dont store it wet. I have never had a problem with any of my bows in 25+ years.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:42 PM

I hunt in the rain as long as it's not a horrible downpour. In fact, I'm hunting tomorrow and it's suppose to rain.

When i get home, before I change my clothes or take a shower or say hello to my wife, I get my bow out, dry it off with a towel, wax the strings and then get my air compressor out and blow air in the tiny to reach places to blow out any moisture. I then let the bow hang in the dry basement for a few hours, take a cloth with scent free lubricant and just dab a few of the mechanical pieces. Been that way for 10 years now and only 1 tiny rust spot showing...

And I hunt in the rain and snow and heat and winter here in northern NJ.,
Old 10-21-2005, 12:42 PM

I hunt in the rain as long as it's not a horrible downpour. In fact, I'm hunting tomorrow and it's suppose to rain.

When i get home, before I change my clothes or take a shower or say hello to my wife, I get my bow out, dry it off with a towel, wax the strings and then get my air compressor out and blow air in the tiny to reach places to blow out any moisture. I then let the bow hang in the dry basement for a few hours, take a cloth with scent free lubricant and just dab a few of the mechanical pieces. Been that way for 10 years now and only 1 tiny rust spot showing...

And I hunt in the rain and snow and heat and winter here in northern NJ.,
Old 10-21-2005, 12:45 PM

def wax your bowstring!!! i made the mistake second archery season last year. got my permission to hunt a new piece of ground and wanted to get out there asap. hunted the rain and i brought my camo umbrella thing for me but i left my bow on the hanger in the rain. a buck comes by and i range to where i am going to shoot at 34 yard. i stop him almost right on the spot broadside and shot and the arrow goes real low and nips the bottom of his chest. the water had made the string heavier and slowed the arrow down enough to effect the impact point further out. never found the deer, only found some white hair...

good raingear, keep bow dry if you can, and hit them hard cause the blood might wash away and you don't want to have to track him long.....good luck
Old 10-21-2005, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

I don't hunt in the rain much anymore. Lost a bloodtrail on a poor hit a few years back and haven't been hunting in heavy rain since. I will hunt a drizzle, but not a heavy rain.

That said, I use the advice above and get a good set of rain gear to keep you comfortable.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Slight drizzel cloudy cold days are my favorite here in Kansas.