Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Gun hunter, going to try crossbow. Help please? >

Gun hunter, going to try crossbow. Help please?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gun hunter, going to try crossbow. Help please?

Old 01-08-2004, 09:34 PM

Default Gun hunter, going to try crossbow. Help please?

I am 35 years old and have hunted deer with a shotgun (slug) since I was 12. I am going to invest in a tree stand and a compound crossbow before this coming fall. I live and hunt in Ohio. I would like to get a climbing tree stand as I cannot afford to buy a bunch of stationary stands. I do not want to spend more than $275.00 for the new crossbow and will spend whatever it takes to get a SAFE climbing tree stand. Any help is appreciated.

OhioDuckHunter
Old 01-08-2004, 11:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Gun hunter, going to try crossbow. Help please?

Not trying to sway you from the crossbow if that is what you want. However are crossbows legal during archery season where you are? If not you may want to reconsider and look at a "regular" bow to extend your season and be out there when the deer are not nearly as pressured.

Just something to think about.

I don't know squat about crossbows so I can't help you there.[:-]
Old 01-09-2004, 12:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/php...wforum.php?f=1
Old 01-09-2004, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arthor P has the best link to quality crossbows. If you can't spend enough time to practice with a compound bow, then a crossbow is going to be a better choice for you. That said I really think you would enjoy a compound bow much more and get more out of the sport. I know crossbows are legal in Ohio, so that's not an issue.
As for treestands I have one word SUMMIT. In my opinion they make some of the finest tree stands on the market, and as far as climbers go they are tops. They combine safe, stable, quiet comfort in one neat package. Take a look at the viper and Goliath stands. These are two of my favorites.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:53 AM

Well ODH....im 17 yrs older than you & quite frankly your line of thought is a little screwy....I agree safety is #1 but buying a cheapie crossbow will make your hunting experince less than desirable....don't know about down in Ohio, but up here in Canada, a good safe treestand can be had for app $200 CDN which works out to, what about a buck fifty US...anyway, you should definitely expect to pay more for your crossbow & along that lines, why not just start with the best....EXCALIBUR!!!! I have an Exocet & love it & highly recommend it to anyone....at 30 yards I was able to put the bolts right in the 10 ring right out of the box and having arthritis a compound was out of the question for me.....spend the money on both...a quality treestand & an Excalibur Crossbow....you will not be sorry!!!! Brampton Mike [8D]
Old 01-09-2004, 08:31 AM

Everybody has their own personal opinon, I personally enjoy the challenge of compound bowhunting as compared to holding a gun with pulleys that is held like a gun and is not fun to reload in a treestand after a missed shot. But then again, you may love a crossbow. Have you checked out BASS PRO in cincinnati?
Old 01-09-2004, 08:41 AM

I don't have a crossbow so can't help you there. However, I've tried a number of climbing stands and I like both the Summit and Loggy Bayou. These stands are over ten years old and I'm happy with them. Never used there latest and greatest. Good Luck.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know anything about crossbows, but make sure and buy a quality climbing stand. I prefer Lone Wolf but there are other good brands too. By the way, the Lone Wolf has a movable front climbing bar that doubles as a gun rest.