Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do deer react to skunk smell? >

How do deer react to skunk smell?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do deer react to skunk smell?

Old 12-14-2003, 01:47 PM

Default How do deer react to skunk smell?

I hunted a stand this morning that produces deer sightings 80-90% of the time. On the way in this morning, I caught occasional smells of skunk spray, sometimes faint and sometimes strong. I did not see a deer this morning. I am curious if the skunk smell in the area could have had anything to do with lack of sightings or if it was just a coincidence.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:26 PM

Default RE: How do deer react to skunk smell?

i'd would have to say yes because the skunk's smell is and alarm for danger and the deer know this
Old 12-14-2003, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Mike, in my opinion, deer don't like to smell a skunk no more than me and you.[:'(] and IMO, i don't think they like to smell fox, bobcat, or coyote urine either.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:53 PM

They avoid skunk smell like other animals and humans do. The only time I have ever witnessed a skunk and another species in close proximity was this past year. I was taking out the trash and peeked out the back door window 1st. 5 yards out I spotted a skunk munching some bread, up come a red fox from behind & to the right of the skunk. Fox sets up parallel to the skunk and starts munching his own bread. Suddenly skunk realizes he's got breakfast company, 180' spin move with a high flying tail to boot. Fox 180' and runs for life before skunk even sprays. Fact is the skunk never even sprayed. Just that 180' move and off goes breakfast company. Be assured no animal cares for that stuff. If you are not sure ask yourself when was the last time you saw another species prancing about with a skunk.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:02 PM

I was at St. Andrews State Park in pennsicola FLA and wittnessed a herd of skunks having a brawl with a herd of raccoons over the camp ground trash. Quite a site. Coons and skunks ripping thru the trash, fighting with each other. Only animal ive ever seen with a skunk. I wouldnt think deer like the smell, think about it, they can smell tons better than we can, a slight oder to us is probably near gagging to them