Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How deer react to heavy equipment operations >

How deer react to heavy equipment operations

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How deer react to heavy equipment operations

Old 11-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Spike

Default How deer react to heavy equipment operations

Behind my house here in NC, they've started grading and knocking down trees to start a housing development. I think before most of everything is destroyed I could sit in the clearings and kill a nice buck. I'm really starting to see more bucks, and big bucks especially at night around my house, so the chasing seems to be sneaking up quickly. I even had a buck with a doe come accross the yard sometime in the last few days (saw the tracks in the wet yard). The guys who are grading even saw a nice deer walk about 50yds from the house yesterday morning at 7:30. All these deer are coming right out of where they are doing all the work!!!.

I just feel it would be a good combination to kill a nice deer with the curiosity of the deerchecking out what's going on, along with the rut approaching. What do all you guys think?
Old 11-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How deer react to heavy equipment operations

You are right on the money, they will check it out in the evenings when the workers head to the house.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Deer are curious animals. I know that they don't pay a lot of attention to dozer work, excavators or logging equipment.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:44 AM

I use to do logging and deer never payed any attention to us but last year they started clearning land about 300 yards from one of my stands and i havent had any luck down there while the dozers are working. at one time would have said no they dont pay much attention but now i haev my douts
Old 11-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it bothers them as long as they don't see a human or the equipment doesn't stop. Think about see ing deer on the sit of the road many times they won't even stop grazing unless you hit the brakes.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

We use to do Logging and every once in awhile drop a tree on Deer.Seen them lots of times watching Tractors out in a field.

big rockpile
Old 11-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Fork Horn

Local guy around here says that he always can bring deer in simply by the sound of a chainsaw.Supposedly the sound of the saw brings them in because they expect to see the tree taken for firewood and all of the branchesandleaves from the top of the tree that they normally can't reach left there for them to eat.Where we are is all forest and guess it may not have the same effect where the deer have a lot more to eat or derive most of their energy from farmland crops etc. take care
Old 11-02-2007, 05:23 AM
Dominant Buck

They associate the soundsof Bull Dozers, Tractors, Chain Saws and Trucks as food.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:42 AM

We've cleared lanes, used chainsaws, and ran backhoes in the morning and seen plenty of deer the same night. They like to come check things out.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seems to me, every time I see the tractors out in the local fields, I see deer in that field the same night. Could be coincidence, but I doubt it.

Quick Reply: How deer react to heavy equipment operations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.