Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting land

Old 12-11-2003, 05:43 PM

Default hunting land

[&o]i hunted public land this year and had a hard time with other hunters i need to find some private land any advice on how to get permission from land owners.thanks for any help
Old 12-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting land

Get some area plot maps. Usaually you can get maps from the county that shows who owns any piece of land. Drive it and see what looks good. Knock on some doors. Talk with the land owners. Don't get dissapointed! Its alot of work. If you get a "no" stop in each year and ask. They start to remember you after a few years and sometimes thats all it takes. Give them a card with your name and phone number on it so if they decided "yes" they can get ahold of you. Many times its just getting your "foot in the door". By asking to hunt the late season(after the gun season) many "no's" become "yes's"! Then by keeping in touch and giving an occasioal report and showing you respect their property and are responsible, you may get permission for the whole season. Another way I've gotton in: Sometimes when talking with the land owners you can kind of tell they don't really want their deer shot. I've told them I'm only after trophies, not small bucks and does. Once again over time your privliges may expand! Its usually alot easier getting permision for your self not a group! If you have a young son or daughter who would hunt with you sometimes that approach is the ticket. Don't start this 3 weeks before season! I work on it in the winter and spring. Just keep plugging.....you'll get it!

Once you got permission do whatever it takes to keep it!

Good L
Old 12-11-2003, 07:41 PM

Everything that CLOUD 9 said is very good ideas, Just to add a couple of more things that also helps........... When you get permission to hunt, a good idea is to let the land owner what days and times you normally hunt and also let them know what you drive to go hunting (make, model, color,etc.) then they know if that is you or someone else that doesn't belong.

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY HUNTING

Knock'em down
Old 12-11-2003, 08:03 PM

i just picked up the phone book and started calling random people asking them if they knew of anyone that had some hunting land that one person culd hunt on. sounds crazy but i ended up with a 50 acre farm that i was the only one who had hunted it for about 20 years.

just got to get around the nerves and be a man
Old 12-12-2003, 12:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another tip that might help. Don't show up in your hunting clothes or dressed like a slob when asking permission. A clean pair of jeans and a golf shirt or something similar goes a long way in making a good first impression. Your vehicle might need as bath too. Can't hurt.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dave H. has an excellent point. You may not know the landowners perception of hunters and unfortunately there are a lot of people out there that don't have a very good one. Show up clean cut and prepared. Offer him venison. Food is always a good tool. Do what ever you can to let him know you are responsible and respectful of others. It's his/her backyard you have to make them comfortable that you won't abuse it.
Once you do get on a piece of land you have to of course follow through with your promises. Go out of your way to help the landowner out. Clean some branches after a storm or spring cleanup. Fix a fence or a porch. Take a trashbag and clean the roadside of his property of debris. They may welcome the extra help with open arms and you could stumble on a prime piece to hunt on for years to come if done right.
One other thing you should consider, make certain you know if anyone else is hunting the land. If so you need to talk with them or find out what the deal is. good luck
Old 12-12-2003, 12:44 PM

also ask for permission in the summer time, don't wait until the last minute. In the fall of the year the farmers are busy getting their crops up and can't be bothered by someone that wants to hunt. in the late summer crops are in and he can take the time to talk to you. also a cold coke doesn't hurt either.
like daveh says, leave the camies at home. it has worked for me. also if you get turned down ask if they know anyone who would allow bowhunting. i have found if you tell them you are a bowhunter you will get permission over a gun hunter."just my 2 cents"
Old 12-14-2003, 03:16 PM

thanks to all for the good advice i will start the first of the year. all they can say is no
Old 12-14-2003, 05:19 PM

you could just take a drive on a sunday afternoon and check out the scenery. if you come across some land that you would like to hunt, stop at the nearest house and ask if they know who owns the land. you could luck out they might own the land. if not, there's a good chance they know who does. good luck in your search. also you could check into leasing some land.