Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I need help buying a bow for my son >

I need help buying a bow for my son

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I need help buying a bow for my son

Old 12-10-2003, 09:53 AM

Default RE: I need help buying a bow for my son

You might want to consider looking into used bows. You could probably find a really nice used bow and put good components on it. There is a huge difference between a 10 and 13 year old kid. If you spend less now, you could get him a new bow when he grows into one strength and size-wise. Just my thoughts, have fun with your son. Hunting with my dad is one of the greatest things we share.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

Browning Micro-Adrenaline
This is the bow my boy is getting for Christmas. Had the proshop fit him, and they have put on a sight, rest, peep sight, D loop and I have picked out a nice Jr. release. This bow is very adjustable so it can grow with him. Nice and fast too. Since I bought it at the pro shop, I get ten hours of range time free, so he can learn how to use it.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe I have an old way of thinking, but my son is eight and I will only allow him to use his longbow. He is starting to outgrow the one he has now, so I will look to get him another longbow. Currently he is shooting at 10 pound, and I will look to get him something in the 20 pound range. That is all he needs for now and if he wants to he will begin bow hunting at age 14. Wheel bows are something that can always come later, but giving him the experience on his longbow is something that should be instilled in him by the time he turns 14. When he is 14 I will let him decide which bow is right for him, but will encourage him to continue shooting longbow even if decides on wheels.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:45 PM

Got my son a High Country Micro Quad for xmas. Best bet is to take your son to a pro shop and have him try a few bows.

Dave
Old 12-10-2003, 01:59 PM

I would start with a PSE nova or spyder. Then when about 15 hit look for a Martin!!
Old 12-10-2003, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I bought my 9yr old a Bow Tech Rascal and she just loves it .It's not only a good lookin bow but it shoot's with great ease .Check them out I'm sure you'll want to have a closer look at your nearest bow shop.

nubo