Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Buying new ML - Which one? >

Buying new ML - Which one?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Buying new ML - Which one?

Old 12-03-2003, 08:58 PM

Default Buying new ML - Which one?

I'm brand new to ML. I've strictly bowhunted for about the last 10 years and just realized I'm missing out on a lot of great hunting opportunities by not taking advantage of the ML seasons.

I'm in the market for a new ML (my first). I really like the break open designs. I've looked at the CVA Optima Pro and the TC Encore. Is there a significant difference between these two ML's to justify the difference in price? It looks like the CVA can be bought for around $280. I guess for the money I'm leaning towards the CVA. Is this a mistake? Also, I've heard that Knight is coming out with a new break open design. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Is there another one I should be considering as well?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-03-2003, 09:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Buying new ML - Which one?

i have a T/C hawkens .50 flintlock....and love it....we have a late season flintlock in pa after x-mas....so you have to use a flintlock....i use it in buck season going on now...............bob

Old 12-04-2003, 06:25 AM

for the money , you cant beat the cva ....got an eclipse .50 magnum at bass pro for $100. put a scope on and once I had it zero'd had 2 out of 3 touching at 100yds
Old 12-04-2003, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I bought a T/C Omega .50 cal. and I really like it a lot. I hunted with a Renegade for a long time, and the traditional look of the Renegade and the Hawken is really cool. However, for ease of use, reliability, care and clean-up, the new break action in-lines can't be beat. I went with T/C because of the company's outstanding reputation. It was expensive at $359.00, and I could not afford to buy a scope with the gun, but that will come with time. The gun is very light weight and accurate.

So, the Omega would be a good choice if you don't mind spending the $$$. Other inlines are good too, of course, but in my opinion, it is a good service to our country and our economy to buy an American product like T/C, or Knight. But that is just my 2 cents.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:20 PM

Ive got the Optima,, put a bushnell elite 2-7 on it. I would not hesitate to bust one off at 200 yards with this gun!
Old 12-06-2003, 10:36 AM
Spike

Go to Wal Mart and get one of the green stocked Hunterbolt mag's for 149 dollars. I get 1.5 inch groups out of mine at 90 yards and I killed a deer the other day at 151 yards(rangefinder) holding dead on with it zeroed 2.5 inches high at 50 yards. Best value on the market
Old 12-12-2003, 08:23 AM

my CVA pissed me off the first day of the season. I put it in the case, and when I pulled it out the piece of junk front sight was busted. it is a plastic base holding the fiber optic sight. I had enough of it left that I sighted it back in using the top of what was left of the post. I found a replacement (front and rear set) for $20, but it was the same piece of junk. I talked to a gun shop, and he said all the CVA sights were plastic like that, AND CVA has a different thread size than everyone else, so he would have to redrill and tap the barrel to put a new TC steel sight on. That is going to cost me $20 for the sight, and $17 labor to redrill.

If I was to buy another CVA, I would plan on paying the cost of a replacement sight in the beginning so you don't have to sight the thing in again and again.