Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Buying my first bow >

Buying my first bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buying my first bow

Old 12-08-2003, 06:27 AM

Default Buying my first bow

Hi folks.
I am purchasing my first bow. I plan to start out with targets and eventually hunt deer in the NE US. I have searched the internet for sites with product reviews and guides to purchasing bows. I was wondering if any of you might be able to offer some advice as to where to start, what to look for, etc?
Thank you in advance.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:40 AM

Default RE: Buying my first bow

Definently go for a used bow!
Old 12-08-2003, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

You need to get 'fitted' for a bow first. Find out your draw length and draw weight ability.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:35 AM

what i'd do is if any of your buddies shoot bow's see if they'll let you shoot there bow's this way you can get a feel for the draw length and weight and see what style bow you might like better, but definatly go with a used one as your first, and ask them what there D/L and D/W is then ask other questions you might have
Old 12-08-2003, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's great you are checking out info on products and reading things on this site. If its your first bow I'd reccomend going to a good proshop and have them set you up. Make sure you have them explain what and why they are doing what they're doing. They'll give you some options and by reading up you'll know what you want. Keep your bow simple at first!

Good luck, its a blast!
Old 12-09-2003, 12:01 AM

I also recomend getting a used bow. Shoot a lot of new bows to see which one you like and get the right draw lenght and weight, and then go find the same set-up used. I also recomend getting a good bow, on that is on the higher end. You will enjoy the sport much better. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

www.huntersfriend.com has some reviews of bows though you always have to take any review with a grain of salt as nobody is entirely objective...myself included. Speaking of which, I did just post a review of the Hoyt Vipertec over on the tech. forum if you are interested. It would normally be out of the price range that I would normally suggest for a beginner but it makes for some enjoyable reading none the less.

Definitely get a feel for what folks are saying is good before heading into a shop. Though the pro shop is definitely the way to go don't have someone else tell you what is good and what isn't. Decide for yourself what you like to feel in a hunting bow.