Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Steelhead broadheads (blade breaking off) >

Steelhead broadheads (blade breaking off)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Steelhead broadheads (blade breaking off)

Old 12-06-2003, 01:00 AM

Default Steelhead broadheads (blade breaking off)

I'm trying to decided what broadhead to use this year for a deer hunt in December and a javelina hunt January. Last year I used steelhead 3-blade and shot a javelina from 40 yards with a complete pass through. When I retrieved my arrow I found that one of the blades had broken off. A couple of weeks later I shot a coues deer from 60 yards with a complete pass through. Once again when I retrieved my arrow one of the blades had broken off. My question is should I continue to use steelheads? Or should I look into a mech broadhead with stronger blades?
Old 12-06-2003, 02:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Steelhead broadheads (blade breaking off)

i've been using 100gr steelforce sabretooths with great sucess for the past 2 years. I've taken 4 deer with them, replaced the kickers and sharpened the main blade and theyre good to go. simple design, fly true for me
my.02
moose
Old 12-06-2003, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Steelheads are a pretty good heads, but the main weakness is the blades. Both sharpness and strength could be better. A similar head with stronger blades is the Rocky Ironhead xp. Another good choice is the Rocky Snyper. The tip is not quite as strong, but the blades are alot sharper and stronger.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:12 AM

I stopped using Rocket heads for that reason - .027 Thickness just does not cut it IMO. The screw retaining system is prone to fail and the blades can also bend very easily. This along with their "dull" blades makes me wonder why they have such a loyal following.

Look into the Jackhammer line - .036 thick, sharper, tougher and better IMO.

They open quick - and I had a large entry and exit wound on my last deer.