Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hog Tactics

Old 02-06-2002, 09:16 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-08-2002, 01:18 PM

Default RE: Hog Tactics

Thanks to all that responded. Does anyone else have have any input? Please!
Old 02-10-2002, 08:46 PM

I hunt hogs near Gatesville, TX (about 45 miles west of Waco) and also near Jacksboro, TX. In both places, the BEST way to attract and pattern them is to dig a post hole ~3 foot deep. Fill it with corn, Hog Draw, strawberry or cherry jello, rotten vegatables/fruit, etc. Hunt it about 3 to 7 days later. If there are hogs, they'll come around. The reason for the hole is that they'll take a few days to a week to get all the food out. They make a wash-tube out of the area.

I've done a combination of a spotlight hooked to a deep-cycle battery shining on the hole to using a rechargable spotlight like I was predator hunting. Obviously, this is at night. The pigs rarely come out during the day around my area. I also have a electronic caller that I use. During daylight on another ranch, I actually brought a big one in, but he'd never cross the river. At night, you just know they show up, sometimes during the calling, sometimes after I've stopped.

P.S. Make sure you do it where cows or horses won't fall into the hole
Old 02-10-2002, 09:53 PM

What kind of tape were you playing in the electronic caller? Was it one of the hog feeding tapes or a distress call?
Old 02-11-2002, 05:32 AM

I have four "hogs-feeding" tapes, plus two piglet squealing tapes. I've found that mixing them up is helpful. They get used to one tape.

The best feeding tape for me has been Johnny Stewart, CT 127A Feral Hog Feeding Frenzy.

I've never had the piglet tapes call in a hog, but they have made the coyotes go wild with howling.
Old 02-11-2002, 12:38 PM

Thanks Brian!
I have ordered one of the tapes. How do you set up to use them? During mid day or sunrise and sunset? Thick brush?
Old 02-11-2002, 05:50 PM

Your setup really depends. If you think you know the direction they will come, then face that way. Their eyesight is poor and it's dark so being relatively in the open doesn't hurt much. I've found that they'll work field edges just like deer, so use that to your advantage.

As far as the post-hole... I dig it in an area that a full moon will shine on, but very near cover. They don't like to come way out into the open, but 20 or 30 yards is fine.

If you happen to hunt a full moon and have a good scope (like my Nikon Monarch 3-9x40), there is plenty of light without a spotlight. Be sure to turn your scope to 3, so that you get the most light to your eye.

For timing, I'll get out there about 30 minutes before dark and then hunt until I'm tired. 10 or 11 is usually all I do, since I have a 2 or 3 hour drive home after. From my deer hunting trips, I can say that they work just after dark until a little after daylight. The hole with corn seems to make them come in earlier, though. I'm wanting to try an early morning hunt (3 AM to daylight), but I haven't done it yet.
Old 02-11-2002, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the info. I will be bowhunting and I thibnk he only allows hunting during daylight but I will find out about that.