Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Unconvensional Tactics >

Unconvensional Tactics

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Unconvensional Tactics

Old 08-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Spike

Default Unconvensional Tactics

This year I set up a stand in a location completley different from anything i have tried before. TypicallyI will set up on a field edge for evening hunting, and deeper in the woods or swamp for morning hunts. My uncle has owned a chunk of swamp land that we have never really hunted since there are very few trees. I decided to take a peek into roadside edge that is really thick with willows and only a couple tall trees. I was surprised to see that the deer have been using this for years there was a 2 foot wide trail worn 2 inches in to the ground, 30 feet from the road. I decided to set a a stand there this year. It seems kinda stupid but then again i have a good feeling about it.The brush is so thickright now that you cant see the stand from the road or vice versa.Unfortuneatly once the leaves fall i will have to remove the stand so that it is not stolen. The deer are crossing the road from the corner of the neighbors woods into the swampthere and moving through the swamp to fields on the other 3 sides of it, Or the are coming from the swamp and moving to the woods. Probably a little of both. Does anybody else have any luck in locations you typically would over look.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Unconvensional Tactics

My second nicest buck was killed in a spot that was 'left over' after everyoneelse had saturated the farm. I concur with your decision.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Spike

I shot my buck last year in a spot that the other hunters said was no good.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

The best stand I have by far is on 8 acres---4 of which is open (the man thats owns the property camps there sometimes--Over the past 15 years or so I averaged 3 deer a year off this property--

Love them little places that everybody overlooks!!
Old 08-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

My best 'odd' tactic was just walking on a nice looking piece of land (we leased) that we had never scouted before.

I leaned up against a tree to check out a pond and bang! a doe pop's out 3yds away. She milled around there for a minute or two and at about 8yds I took her. Man that was awesome.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had some of my best luck and biggest deers shot in out of the way spots on small sink holes full of thick brush or in smaller out of the way spots in thick brush right behind old pond banks and even behind the Lagoon behind the house.Every year I can bet the bank there will be deer bedded in the small thicket on an old dump road about 75 yards behind my house.It pays to try off the wall tactics when hunting for Whitetails!
Old 08-17-2007, 07:08 PM

I shot my biggest deer about 75 yards from the road. There was a thick stand of willows bordering the road and I put a stand in the first tree next to the willows. On a Friday night I can hear the jukebox from the country bar just down the road from my stand and in the morning I can see the car headlights as they go by. I usually know a deer is coming when I hear the car horns honking or the tires skidding.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:51 PM

i shot my biggest buck this past year with my bow about 50 yards away from the road on public land... one heck of a spot, i saw deer every time i hunted there.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Talk with GMMAT. When I went to NC to hunt with him last fall we set out in the morning, parked his truck in a pull off, walked down the main road to a street light and he said, how about that tree right there. I was a little taken back but I said, how about slightly deeper and so we set in, found perfect trees.

He informed me to listen to the cars as they slow, it will let me know the deer are coming and that they did. I even watched a dandy buck across the road under a street lamp. I was amazed and had a great time and cant' wait to get back. He knows his deer, amoungst people and he needs to take some out. This year he has an agenda.

People pick on him about the sandboxes, swing sets and pools but I have to tell ya, I wish I had it so good.

I watched and studied these deer because I had the opportunity of seeing deer all but all day. These deer are wild deer living amoungst people. They actually have the people patterned and the everyday people unless they (the people) change their daily routine probably don't see many of these deer. They hid when homeowners left for work, came out all day and hid when they returned home. They patterned the people and Jeff had them patterned. It was amazing and rewarding. I saw over 75 animals in two days of hunting, many good bucks moving along fences, funnels etc and even helped Jeff narrow his one great spot, first time we both hunted it. I look forward to going back. Thanks Jeff.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Dominant Buck

I hunted that spot twice last year, Rob. Once with you....once with Mitch. I can tell you I sat at that phone substation probably 10 mornings trying to pattern a buck, though.

I know where my deer sleep and where they eat. If you know those two things.....you've taken a LOT of the "mystique" out of this stuff. I say it all the time.....it ain't rocket science.

Whomever you are.....wherever you hunt....you're either catching them going out to dinner......or coming home after a night out dining. Certain times of the year.....you prey on their horny side. Deer hunting 101. It don't really get any HARDER than that.

I could tell you some stuff I've done.....but I'd have to kill you. I don't know anyone who hunts like I do......and I likely hunt differently than most THINK I do.