Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rifle hunter wants to say something to you guys... >

Rifle hunter wants to say something to you guys...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rifle hunter wants to say something to you guys...

Old 11-25-2003, 06:13 AM

Default Rifle hunter wants to say something to you guys...

I have been a rifle hunter for many years. I started bow last year but I did not do it this year since my wife gave me a lot of grief hunting all the time. This may have been a mistake but I will try again next year. I posted a note in ETHICS ARE REATIVE in the Deerhunting board about bow hunters missing and wounding more deer than gun hunters and I was wrong to state that. This was based upon seeing deer with arrows sticking out of them plus hearing about this as well.

I do agree and realize that there are definately more gun hunters taking pot shots at deer and not properly tracking and injuring them. I know that going forward I will only shoot at what I feel will take down the deer. I have never shot at a deer from the rear but I have tried shooting at a running deer without success. I have killed many deer with a rifle and muzzleloader and only lost one after wounding it and felt terrible when it took off and I could not find it.

Anyway, I hope I did not terribly offend anyone and I appreciate the ethical way you guys treat this sport. You are an inspiration to me and I know that any newer guys to this sport will heed your advice and become better hunters.

Thanks again....

Tomster

Old 11-25-2003, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rifle hunter wants to say something to you guys...

It took some guts to come over here and say that.

But since you realized what you did, I won' t hold it against you.

I would suggest you dig that bow out again though. There isn' t anything better than trying to outwit a deer at 20 yards so you can get a shot at him!!
Old 11-25-2003, 08:07 AM

Tomster,

I' m sure you saw my reply as well as replies from some others. Sorry if I was harsh. I hunt with bow, firearm and muzzleloader and if anything I am more sure of the shots I take with my bow than any other weapon I hunt with. Why? The margin of error while bow hunting is so minute. Every thing must go right to be sucessful while bowhunting.
With that being said I truly appreciate your appology. 95%+ of the guys on this board eat, sleep and live for this sport. I' ve read more post here of people second guessing a shot they did not take rather that second guessing a shot they took. That says a lot about the bow community. I' m sure if you can find the time to get out more and I truly hope you are able to, you will precisely understand bowhunting and the " intimate nature" of the sport.
There are some idiots out there with bow in tow but idiots can be found in any sport. On a per capita ratio, I belive bow hunter to be more ethical than any other type of hunter (primarily because of the close contact nature of the sport).
Again thank you for the appoligy. I hope to have you join us next season in the ranks and file of ethical bowhunters....
Old 11-25-2003, 08:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Very well put Tomster. I take back my reply on the post you mentioned. I will admit I was peeved when I read your statement about bowhunters. Thanks for coming forward. Get the bow out!!!
Old 11-25-2003, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know I was jumping on you hard about that. I have great respect for any individual that can openly say he was wrong and apologize. Like has been stated here, most of us bowhunters on here live for bowhunting and take it very seriously. We have to stand up for our sport and things like what you said get most of us riled up. Thank you for learning and apologizing.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:21 PM

Nice post Tomster. I think you speak for many bow and gun hunters. Neither camp is ever going to go away and we don' t think all that different. There are slobs and renagades all over out there. I do enjoy my bow time more and have more pride in my bow kills but love deer hunting with a gun also.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:52 AM

Well thank you for the words,they do mean alot.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I didn' t see the post, but it takes a big man to stand up and say he was wrong. I think we have slob hunters in all ranks, bow hunters as well. combine them with mistakes from " good hunters" and you get wounded deer, with rifles, muzzle loaders and bows. This is just a sad truth of hunting. Thanks for stepping up to the plate.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Tomster I didn' t see the thread you are talking about, but my hat is off to you, it takes a big man to say they were wrong. I hunt bow, rifle, blackpowder and shotgun, but I can honestly say that since picking up a bow I have really improved my shot selection when gun hunting. I am really anal about bow shot selection, I have let plenty walk due to shot angle or distance. You are welcome to my hunting camp any time.