Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Yardage question??? >

Yardage question???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Yardage question???

Old 11-20-2003, 11:07 AM

Default RE: Yardage question???

Its called the pythagoreom theorem (sp?)

Man I seen this debate for too long shooting on the 3-D circuit, everybody you talked to had a different opinion.

I think the most important factor is bending at the waste as someone has suggested. If you stay straight and bend with your arms or draw at a goofy angle things will change. I usually hunt 12-20ft up. I sight in on the ground. When I am in the stand I shoot the deer for the exact same yardage as I shoot on the ground. I also shoot for the center of the chest, this will give me the biggest variable for an inch or two up or down. Knowing yardage and your arrow drop is very significant in the later months when the leaves are off and you can add some yards. Does anyone know exactly how much their arrow starts to drop off from 25-30 a 30-35....you would be amazed, even the fastest bows can suprise you. I shot one event with my old bow and I had it maxed out and shooting a light arrow and chrono' ed at 323fps.....that thing would still bleed off energy and drop if I missed the yardage.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do agree that bending at the waist is a big factor ... for someone shooting a bow. However Jason is shooting a crossbow. Would I be wrong in saying that form is not as big an issue in his situation?

Old 11-20-2003, 11:34 AM

Duh....missed that part.

I would be willing to guess a crossbow wouldnt require as much form. Also cross bows with their short draw lengths and short arrows will dump speed off really quickly and being off by a yard or two will greatly effect a shot.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Use pendulem sights. Then there is no difference! (you believe that don' t you?)
Old 11-20-2003, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

The pythagorean theorum is actually just a right triangle and is the way to figure the distance in a mathematical form BUT due to sight paralax,the shot needs about 1 yard more taken off and that would make it about a 27-28 yard shot,according to how much sight length,peep height and arrow weight along with arrow speed.

But really we are getting way to involved for a hunting setup.Range straight out and shoot.

I am glad that you finally realized we were talking about a crossbow.Yeah,that does seem to eliminate the bending at the waist issue somewhat.But not completely.

I would say the 30' high is the real problem.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:23 PM

To see clearly that distance from the base of the tree matters and not yardage from the bow (or rangefinder) take an extreme example, it makes it more obvious. Think about your stand being 90 feet up and a deer is 10 feet from the base of the tree. Your rangefinder will tell you that the deer is more than 30 yards away. The arrow will only be falling over a lateral distance of 10 feet.
As mentioned by many on this post 30 feet up is pretty high. The angle to the deer is too sharp and a double lung shot will be very hard unless the deer is pretty far out. If you plan on a spine shot, straight down is fine, however you better be shooting 1 inch groups to attempt this. As hunters we owe it to the deer and the sport to make quick clean ethical kill shots.
As far as the white hair and the meat and not much blood on the vanes, it does not sound like a lung shot at all. Any lung shot that is a pass through will cover the arrow with blood. You grazed the bottom of the chest or belly and even with some blood only educated that buck. He is fine.