Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 In Hurry... Lens'  Triple and my NY hunt >

In Hurry... Lens' Triple and my NY hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

In Hurry... Lens' Triple and my NY hunt

Old 11-19-2003, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: In Hurry... Lens' Triple and my NY hunt

This is an excerpt from the hunting and trapping in Maryland booklet

Deer tagging and checking requirements a field tag must be filled out and attached to the deer before moving it from place of kill .Field tags are provided with this publication

He didn’t do anything illegal

Multiple blood trails can suck but as long as a person is willing to put out all the effort necessary to recover the animals I don’t see how this can be considered unethical but then again most of the stuff people spout off as being ethics questions on a lot of these posts I don’t understand any way. Most of the back yards I hunt in the owners want you to shoot as many deer as you can although I rarely shoot more than one in a day just too much work for me . More power to those that are willing to put out the effort . OH yea congrats on the nice deer Len
Old 11-19-2003, 09:11 PM

Hey Dave, check out all these Maryland hunters. At least they know the rules and regs in Maryland. Right now I' ve got to go over to region B or D to shoot more bucks. Region B will allow me one more for archery and region D will allow me two more. I' ve got properties in both of these regions as well as C. Then, during the upcoming gun season I can shoot two more in C, one more in B and two more in D. Then in blackpowder season I can shoot two more in C, one more in B and two more in D. All bucks, that is; and unlimited does. Even though gun/blackpowder seasons may be in, we can still use our bows in those areas where we can' t/won' t use guns. In fact, David and I would much rather use our bows.

This will give some an idea of the deer problems we have here in this State. The problems we have, like many other states, is the protected territories controlled by the antis are incubators for deer to breed rapidly. Once they breed freely, they wander into other areas that we hunt. We' re doing our job, but it seems at times to be never-ending. I' ve said it before and I' ll say it again - thank you to the antis. I remember a game warden once referring to deer as " long legged rats" .

I' ve taken two deer at a time many times. Once we were searching at night for one of two that I shot late in the day. One of the neighbors thought someone was ' spot lighting' and called the DNR. They checked us out thoroughly and kept asking who shot the deer and where were our guns. I kept telling them that I shot both of the deer with my bow and that there were no guns. I had to finally ask them to check out the bloody arrows in my quiver in the back of my truck. The farmer gave them a REAL hard time for even questioning us. He told them that we were doing him a great service and that they had better stop harassing us. Go figure. A farmer fighting for the rights of us hunters.

The farmers in this State put a damage value on each deer of between $300-400/year. That means that shooting 10 deer a year can net a farmer up to $4000. I' m not trying to make this a dollars and cents issue, because it isn' t. Many would go to the ethics bandwagon if it were only a dollars and cents issue - that' s an easy rebuttal that wreaks of sentimentality and prays on the weak of heart. But, what would the average breadwinner think if he/she could prevent a financial loss of this magnitude. Property owners have invested thousands of dollars in shrubbery only to see it disappear in days. Insurance companies are heavy into ways to prevent deer collisions. Lyme' s disease is ever increasing. And I' m sure the list goes on.

Yes, I do shoot multiple deer when I can. Yes, I do track each and every deer that I shoot. David can attest to extensive tracking many times. We hate to loose any animal. Yes, there are MANY days when I walk out of the woods being ' skunked' . Therefore, when I see a multiple opportunity, I will usually take it.

Thank you one and all for your understanding. Good hunting to all, no matter where you hunt, what you hunt, or how you hunt - as long as you stay within the laws of your State, respect the animal, and (as I teach my son) don' t shoot anything that won' t be eaten. Around here we have needy families, Soup Kitchens, FHFH, and other outlets for the meat. We utilize them all and all of them are very much appreciative.

Old 11-19-2003, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Len - You outdid David - It must feel GREAAAAAT!!!

really - you' ll never forget that hunt. - I' m glad you were able to share it with us.

Old 11-20-2003, 04:16 AM
Dominant Buck

LEN.... I " Ain' t" doing all that dragging. YOu better hire someone.[:-][&:]

We teach the dang classes. I hope we know the laws.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats len , It would be nice to have them mounted side by side in you shop so you can look at them and remember the hunt when it gets hetic at work . Glad to here you are feeling better allso , God bless and go get ya some more .
Old 11-20-2003, 09:21 AM

Just because news of their actions is not always in your face, you can be assured that anti-hunting groups and the anti-hunting individuals are not idle. Just as you spend much time and money to pursue your love of hunting, so do those that are opposed to hunting spend much time and money to pursue their goals, and not just during any particular season. They are active throughout the entire year.

For the opposition to gain ground and accomplish their goal (abolish hunting), they must obtain a level of power that provides them political bargaining power. Power comes in the form of numbers of members and money. To recruit members and obtain donations, these groups must be able to show evidence to validate their propaganda.

The evidence they prefer and seek is that which is written by others (research data, governmental documents, statements made by the foe (us), etc,) and is visual; especially if visually offensive (blood, guts, display of animal organs, etc.) You can be assured that they will manipulate the evidence, especially written evidence, to meet their needs. The Internet and these hunting forums are without a doubt a blessing to these groups, and undoubtedly their favorite areas to peruse for evidence.

Our reputation that we do not hunt just to kill is fragile, and can easily be corrupted by just a few unprincipled hunters and by poachers; whether the corruptness is actual or perceived. Our hunting rights are (thinly) defended and safeguarded by the fact that we can claim that hunting periods and quotas are limited and strictly controlled, and that hunting is necessary to preserve, not control, wild animal populations. That we do not directly engage in animal population control by just killing as many animals as we can for commercial (economic) and governmental purposes, that the control of game animal populations is a peripheral result of what we (hunters) do.

The moment the anti groups and anti-hunting individuals hear or read that hunters are purposely killing as many deer as can be killed for the PRIMARY purpose of reducing deer populations for economic and government purposes, actual or perceived, you can bet your ass such fuel for their propaganda will not be ignored and the clamor will be heard coast to coast. What hunters do or do not do in a particular state does not just affect the reputation and privileges of hunters in only that state.

Additionally, it does not help our reputation that the killing of game be expressed in humorous and indifferent manner, such as " davidmil' s" posts in which he admitted that he will shoot as many deer as he can and not be concerned if he recovers all that he shot, and his whimsically-intended story about how he slipped a baby spear into the breathing space of a buck, etc, etc.

If the hunters in Maryland want to " bang" as many deer as possible during one hunt and then recover what they can find lying throughout the timber; if the Maryland hunters want to kill as many deer as possible to help the farmers profits and keep the cost of bread down; if the Maryland hunters want to help keep the auto insurance cost down by lowering the vehicle vs. deer accidents by killing as many deer as possible, then do it in way that does not affect my reputation and the reputation of Illinois hunters.

Excerpt from an article in which an argument against the anti' s propaganda was issued:

[I]" Ethical hunters are not thrill killers and not ordinarily view their game as " pests" ; rather, they have a great deal of respect and even reverence for the animals they pursue. Committed hunters have a deep knowledge of their prey' s biology and habits, an intimate knowledge of their habitat, and spend hours in still, silent communion with the wild, passing up opportunities to merely kill in order to assure a clean kill……

Old 11-20-2003, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

c903,
Jealousy will get you nowhere.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:01 PM
Dominant Buck

So how ' bout those Ravens.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Go Cowboys!!!! Is Ray Lewis in jail yet??
Old 11-20-2003, 04:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

The only problem I have with the deer in Md is I can' t find a doggone place to hunt to hunt them. .

Quick Reply: In Hurry... Lens' Triple and my NY hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.