HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - In Hurry... Lens' Triple and my NY hunt
Old 11-19-2003, 09:11 PM
Len in Maryland

Default RE: In Hurry... Lens' Triple and my NY hunt

Hey Dave, check out all these Maryland hunters. At least they know the rules and regs in Maryland. Right now I' ve got to go over to region B or D to shoot more bucks. Region B will allow me one more for archery and region D will allow me two more. I' ve got properties in both of these regions as well as C. Then, during the upcoming gun season I can shoot two more in C, one more in B and two more in D. Then in blackpowder season I can shoot two more in C, one more in B and two more in D. All bucks, that is; and unlimited does. Even though gun/blackpowder seasons may be in, we can still use our bows in those areas where we can' t/won' t use guns. In fact, David and I would much rather use our bows.

This will give some an idea of the deer problems we have here in this State. The problems we have, like many other states, is the protected territories controlled by the antis are incubators for deer to breed rapidly. Once they breed freely, they wander into other areas that we hunt. We' re doing our job, but it seems at times to be never-ending. I' ve said it before and I' ll say it again - thank you to the antis. I remember a game warden once referring to deer as " long legged rats" .

I' ve taken two deer at a time many times. Once we were searching at night for one of two that I shot late in the day. One of the neighbors thought someone was ' spot lighting' and called the DNR. They checked us out thoroughly and kept asking who shot the deer and where were our guns. I kept telling them that I shot both of the deer with my bow and that there were no guns. I had to finally ask them to check out the bloody arrows in my quiver in the back of my truck. The farmer gave them a REAL hard time for even questioning us. He told them that we were doing him a great service and that they had better stop harassing us. Go figure. A farmer fighting for the rights of us hunters.

The farmers in this State put a damage value on each deer of between $300-400/year. That means that shooting 10 deer a year can net a farmer up to $4000. I' m not trying to make this a dollars and cents issue, because it isn' t. Many would go to the ethics bandwagon if it were only a dollars and cents issue - that' s an easy rebuttal that wreaks of sentimentality and prays on the weak of heart. But, what would the average breadwinner think if he/she could prevent a financial loss of this magnitude. Property owners have invested thousands of dollars in shrubbery only to see it disappear in days. Insurance companies are heavy into ways to prevent deer collisions. Lyme' s disease is ever increasing. And I' m sure the list goes on.

Yes, I do shoot multiple deer when I can. Yes, I do track each and every deer that I shoot. David can attest to extensive tracking many times. We hate to loose any animal. Yes, there are MANY days when I walk out of the woods being ' skunked' . Therefore, when I see a multiple opportunity, I will usually take it.

Thank you one and all for your understanding. Good hunting to all, no matter where you hunt, what you hunt, or how you hunt - as long as you stay within the laws of your State, respect the animal, and (as I teach my son) don' t shoot anything that won' t be eaten. Around here we have needy families, Soup Kitchens, FHFH, and other outlets for the meat. We utilize them all and all of them are very much appreciative.