Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spooking deer

Old 10-18-2020, 06:09 AM
Spike

Default Spooking deer

Me and my friend saw a ton of deer before the season on cams and in person before the season on a small property. We hung one treestand and scouted a couple of times and haven't seen anything since. could we really of spooked the deer this easily, or is this just natural or random deer movement?

Speaking of which how easy is it to spook deer from a property? and does it just depend on that deer?
Old 10-18-2020, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

deer change patterns with the seasons, summer patterns do not match fall patterns, Food sources change also, yes to much human activity will also change deer patterns
Old 10-18-2020, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

no its very unlikely you scared deer off the property with what you did, odds are food source changed and as such they moved to follow where the enw food source is,
deer that live in a place that have GOOD food all yr round, are almost impossible to scare off, so NO there not easy to scare
BUT that doesn't mean you will see them easy, they can be very good at avoiding humans, and can most times smell and hear you coming before you get there, and as such avoid you seeing them, they will also become very nocturnal at times to avoid human contact in day time, rather common in many places they live and get harassed in day time IMO!,

BUT if your running trail cams and NEVER seeing deer on them after a few days or weeks, then, something maybe changed to move them off, and you were just a small part of it!

deer are not super animals, there rather simple critters to be honest,
they require basic's, food, water, safety and cover, if they have that in one place/area they have zero reason to leave it,

BUT if any of these things become a regular hassle to them, they will move to avoid the hassle, as they like most folks, don't like being bothered often!

no food , no cover, no safety, on a property they will move off!, have food cover and safety, and odds are deer will stay there! even if bumped off a few times by you scouting and hanging stands/camera's!
Old 10-27-2020, 06:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Both the 2 post above are spot on. Deer change their habits as the seasons change. Let me change that last sentence a bit. Deer change their patterns as the seasons change and it has little to do with human interference. Their pattern changes usually always revolve around food. Now introduce human interference (not casual because most deer around urban areas and agriculture areas are used to people being in the vicinity). What I'm talking about is hunting pressure. The older deer will turn almost completely nocturnal.
The only way you can hunt these deer is to get out early and stay late on trails leading to and from food and bedding areas. And even then you should find natural funnels like a strip of woods between two fields, a road and a stream or similar obstacle. This will give you the best opportunity to see them. The only other alternative is to hope the rut draws out the buck looking for hot doe. But even so these funnels or pinch points are the best areas. Buck at this time are driven for their desire to breed. This urge is sometimes even stronger than eating. But beware, the big bucks, although looking to breed are not stupid. They are still "on their toes" watching for danger as well as girlfriends. As for stand location the most important thing is to WATCH THE WIND. If the wind is wrong for the stand your chance of seeing any deer, even a sex crazed buck, is slim to none.
Good luck