Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent dripper questions? >

Scent dripper questions?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent dripper questions?

Old 11-03-2003, 12:40 PM

Default Scent dripper questions?

I live in southern maine and the buck/doe ratio is waaay out of wack. I would go out on a limb and guess it to be 25 to 1. I have seen countless does and just a couple of buck so far this season and based upon the buck/doe ratio I truly belive that calling and ratteling are a waste of time.

On Saturday I was doing a little scouting and came across some mighty fine scrapes just below a ridge and right on the edge of a swamp. I tried a little calling but as I expected nothing happened. I think the only chance I have of getting this buck to come out (aside from on his own terms) is to lure him out with scents, which leads me to my question.

Have you ever used a scent dripper? If you have, What scents have you had luck with? There are so many diffrent scents on the market and now isn' t the best time to play the guessing game. The rut is about to start and if I can get the deer to come out durring daylight hours I sure I can connect. In the morning I' m trying to catch him as he comes down off the ridge where I belive he' s been feeding.If he' s coming down off the ridge and into the swamp before first light I' m hopeing I can get him to come out and tend the scrape durring daylight hours.

I personally have no experience with drippers and little with scents other than cover scents. I' m hopeing I can learn from your knowledge. Any info you have is greatly appreciated.... thanks Chuck
Old 11-03-2003, 12:55 PM

Default RE: Scent dripper questions?

I' ve used scent drippers with pretty good success. Early in the season, I use buck urine as a curiosity scent, then switch to doe in rut AND buck urine when the rut is on. I' ll hang two drippers over the scrape when I do that. The combination of doe in rut, and buck urine has usually produced a buck trying to find out who' s tappin his honeys.

Sorry, forgot about the rest of your question. Good ol' Tinks 69 works good and I use the Code Blue buck urine.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:22 PM

That' s interesting. I never thought of using two diffrent scents. Thanks for the tip Danny.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:24 PM

You' re welcome. Let us know if you get one!!!
Old 11-03-2003, 02:48 PM

If all goes well I' ll be back with pics.