Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Woohoo, I kilt a cariboooo. >

Woohoo, I kilt a cariboooo.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Woohoo, I kilt a cariboooo.

Old 11-03-2003, 01:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Woohoo, I kilt a cariboooo.

Finally got back out tonight after being up here for over a week. I' ve been working alot with the transition of our company since we just went through a merger, and on Friday I about had it so I promised myself I' d get out hunting sometime this weekend. Got busy on Saturday, so that was a scratch, so I worked my tail off Sunday morning to get out early, and managed to sneak out at 2:30. By 3:00 I saw caribou, not 30 miles from town, and a good half mile from the road. They were in the wide open, but I figured what the heck.

I snuck out to around 200 yards behind some small knolls, and watched the herd bull chase off a smaller bull, then try to court a cow. She laid down, and he turned to another caribou, which I thought was a cow, and started running it around. The larger bull stopped about 40 yards out, and the smaller caribou ran past me, and circled around to within 30 yards. I didn' t want anything to do with the bull, since the meat is horrid when they rut, so I put the pin on the smaller bou and squeezed off a shot. PERFECT! Right behind the shoulder and a full pass through. The bou made it all of 12 steps and fell over dead. WOW. I grazed the heart and put some nice holes in the lungs. Found the arrow and it was in perfect shape. Blades opened on the way in, and stayed intact on the way out. I used the 125 grain shockwave mechanicals. I grazed ribs on both sides, but nothing major. Uh oh, I see a little weener. We' ll find out tomorrow how the meat is. He' s a one and a half year old bull, so hopefully too young to get rutty and rancid. No smell to it, and it' s pretty tender meat.

I took a couple of pics in the field, but took a digital one when I finally got back to the shop. I drug him a half mile back to the truck whole, and somehow managed to get him in the bed. I couldn' t get him up very high, but once I got the guts out of him, and got the hide off, I was able to hoist him up a little higher.

2 weeks ago I took an elk, today I take a bou. Pretty good late season for me! [8D] I' ve got all but the hind quarters butchered up and in the freezer already. Tomorrow night I' ll wrap up the rest. He sure was a little guy. Don' t mind the bloating, it went right away when I opened him up.

Old 11-03-2003, 01:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Woohoo, I kilt a cariboooo.

Yum Yum Boo buurger. You did it again. enjoy. Whwn does grizzly season start???
Old 11-03-2003, 01:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

And yes, I did have my cardeer necklace along with me. [:-][:-][:-]

Grizzly season up here is draw only now where I bowhunt, so that' s out of the question for the rest of my life unless we can get the drawing turned. We are headed south of Juneau in May though for black and brown bears with the bows. Saw plenty of each type last time we were down there, so hopefully we' ll get another chance at some brownies. Just bought the tickets to Juneau to get in May 8th!
Old 11-03-2003, 04:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good job Jerry. You gut him right there in the shop? Why not at the kill site? Be a whole lot easier dragging and holsting to me it seems.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats ! Looks like some good eating.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

Awesome bro!

Hope Matt doesn' t see that picture, it' s " horrid!"
Old 11-03-2003, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the bou Jerry, man you lead a hunters dream life up there.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:21 AM
Kip
Fork Horn

Way to go ABM. Congrats on the Bou.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:43 AM

congrats on the bou!
Old 11-03-2003, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

Nice going

Quick Reply: Woohoo, I kilt a cariboooo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.