Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scent dripper

Old 01-05-2006, 11:39 AM

Default scent dripper

Do the scent dripper/mock scrape thing really work? I bought 2 of them last night from walmart because they were cheap. I got the book, dripper, and the big 4 ounce bottle of scent for 5 bucks is this a good deal?
Old 01-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scent dripper

Yes they do work,but don't overfill them. 2 oz of scent no more!
Old 01-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

I tried one this year and yes, they do work. I set one up and checked it a few times but thought it was my old scrapes and nothing new was hitting it. I moved it to another area but when I checked back at the first place there was new activity even though I had moved the drip. I moved it back to the first spot, then I noticed they were hitting the 2nd spot also. I left it at the original spot and continued to see activity but never had one while I was hunting it. Seemed like the 2nd spot died off. I'll try it again.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

i also bought one the other night at wal-mart...lol. i always heard they worked. the one i got claims only to drip during day light hours to increase the chance of seeing a deer.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:11 PM

Dripping in the daytime is just a very fortunate byproduct of a rise in temperatures. It won't drip at night because the temps are falling. Temps rise in the daytime forcing the pressure up, and pushes out the drip.

However - what I don't understand about their logic is that it doesn't mean that the deer don't smell it at night too.

and YES...you got a good deal. I paid $18 for mine right before season. I don't know that the activescrape would stil be good after sitting for a year though. I'm sure someone on here would know.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Fork Horn

yea they work and yea good deal
Old 01-06-2006, 05:42 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: duxrok

However - what I don't understand about their logic is that it doesn't mean that the deer don't smell it at night too.
The theory is that it gives a nocturnal buck the idea that a hot doe or intruding buck is only visiting the scrape during the day , which induces the more dominant buck to stay out longer or go out earlier trying to catch them .

I got a chance at a nice 8 pointer this year because he was checking a scrape dripper that I had hung 50 yards from my ground blind , once he heard "her" bleat right across a small rise he came running right to me . I didn't get him because he somehow smelled a rat and bolted before breaking cover , but I have no doubt that the dripper was what got him that close to me .