Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

skull mount

Old 11-02-2003, 06:07 PM

Default skull mount

has anyone ever tried to do a skull mount???? if so, how did you do it.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: skull mount

i did my first buck and a bear skull for where i work....all i did was boil it til there was no meat left on it, then i took powdered bleach and peroxide , made a paste and waited..i reapplied it til all of the oils were out....used a blow dryer on it too, helped bring the oils to the surface.....you can use regular bleach, but my way is alot cleaner and you don' t have to worry about it getting on your antlers....
Old 11-02-2003, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can order kits for this out of various taxidermy magazines like vandykes taxidermy and mckenzie.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:21 PM

huntnma
did you flesh the skull first or just put the whole thing in a pot???? i got to find a big pot!!!!
Old 11-02-2003, 06:24 PM

Like huntnma said you can boil it but I never had mine turn out very well but Ive seen a lot that did. That is your best bet for doing one or two deer. I started using beetles myself after I had a bear skull cleaned with them , now I have my own colony and do several each year for people and they have more than paid for themselves, not to mention I get some pretty good looking skull mounts.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:17 PM

angus 74

ok where do i get the beetles????? i have heard that boiling might damage the skull, if it is boiled too long. going to try something.[:-] if i screw it up i will have a nice set of horns to rattle with.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:00 AM

BEETLES HUH i goto get me some BEETLES how long does it take for the beetles to eat the flesh away HOW LARGE ARE YOUR BEETLES NOW?
Old 11-03-2003, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

actually i did put the whole thing in a big pot and boiled everything, i would periodically take my knife and get some of of it off, finally it all peeled off......it was so easy...STUNK to high heaven, but it was worth it..........i know i have posted this pic before, but here' s my first.......and only , lol.......til the next hunt that is.........i took the shinky look off the skull......no one ever told me that when the taxidermist did it they didn' t put a clear coat on them......lol.......i know now
Old 11-04-2003, 04:40 AM

A better way to get the oils out is to put the skull in acetone. You can get this at the hardware store. Basically, it is nail polish remover. It draws out all of the oils. A bug guy told me about this - he uses it to get the oils out of dragon flies so they hold their colors.

Greg