Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 ANTLERED DOE SKULL MOUNT 911 >

ANTLERED DOE SKULL MOUNT 911

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

ANTLERED DOE SKULL MOUNT 911

Old 05-18-2007, 01:49 PM

Default ANTLERED DOE SKULL MOUNT 911

I'M LOOKING FOR SOME INFORMATION ABOUT SKULL MOUNTS. I HAVE , BELIEVE IT OR NOT, AN ANTLERED DOE IN MY FREEZER I SHOT LAST OCT. SHE ONLY HAD ONE ANTLER BREAK SKIN. IT IS 2" LONG AND IS FORKED. THE ANTLER IS IN FULL VELVET. CAN I BOIL A VELVET ANTLERED SKULL? AND HOW? SHE WAS VERY MATURE SO SOFTNESS OF SKULL WILL NOT BE AN ISSUE. I REALLY WANT TO PRESERVE THIS TROPHY. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ANTLERED DOE SKULL MOUNT 911

If your wanting to keep the antler in velvet, take it to a professional. I don't like boiling, because if you aren't careful, you can damage the skull. For most smaller animals, I use the maceration method, but for bigger, I send it for beetle cleaning. You have to preserve the velvet, if you want to keep it.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:51 AM

A couple of thoughts here. Too bad you didnt mount it, as a skull with antlers could be a doe or buck, you wouldnt know as well, the differences are so subtle. Regardless, most of us do not boil skulls, it breaks them down. Anyone who boils will reply Im wrong...until the day come when they finally have one crack, fall apart, etc. Russian roulette! No thanks, lol. Anyway, Id send it to get beetle treated if it were me, and whether you boil or beetle it, youll first have to address the velvet antler. Sometimes the antler velvet and the antler itself can just be dried out, especially on the does with antlers, as its not always as mature an antler as a buck. Id cut them off, have them dried and treated, or better yet, freeze dried, and when the skull is finished, pin the antlers back on. Thats the best way, but Im sure youll hear other methods. Boiling or beetles WILL effect the velvet, either way you look at it...
Old 06-15-2007, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

My grandpa shot a 8 point doe in Wyoming. He got it mounted. It to also had velvet on it.