Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coyote skull mount

Old 01-04-2004, 03:52 PM

Default coyote skull mount

I am just starting to coyote hunt this winter and was wondering if anyone has done a coyote skull mount. Something like just cleaning the meat off and then bleaching it white like a european deer mount. My question is what would be the best way to clean all of the meat off and get the brains out before bleaching.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:27 PM

Default RE: coyote skull mount

I would set up a stove out side and boil the skull for about an hour. then all that "tasty" stuff comes off real nice. then you bleach it.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:28 PM

Default cleaning skulls

cklost33;
The best and safest way to clean any skull is to use dermestid beetles. There is no bone damage and they clean the entire skull inside and out. You can send it out to be done at Skulls unlimited for around $25.00 They do an excellent job and it's complete when you receive it.
Or you can do it yourself, buy simmering it in water with Sal Soda, But now you have the chance of ruining the fragile bones inside of the nose. Sal Soda which is Sodium Carbonate is helpful in dissolving meat, fat and grease when boiling bone's or skulls. To do this you add a 1/4 cup of sal soda, and 1/4 cup of salt to every gallon of water in a non-aluminum pot. Bring the water to a boil and immerse the skull to this solution. You will lose some of the teeth during this process. But simply retreave the teeth from the water, and glue them back in when your finished with the bleaching process. Check the progress occasionally and remove when the flesh turns into a jelly-like substance. (within a 1/2 hour, no longer) The meat, fat and tissue now can easily be removed by scraping off. repeat if necessary, for an addtional 15min if needed. To bleach out the skull, rinse it out real good, then soak in hydrogen peroxide overnight. Again rinse the skull then let it bleach out in the sun.
I hope this help you out on your project.....Good luck

P.S. I forgot to mention that you can contact Skulls unlimited at
Skulls Unlimited International
10313 South Sunnylane
Oklahoma City Ok. 73160 Or call them at 1-800-659-skull(7585)

You can also get then online at www.skullsunlimited.com

Coyote Caller