Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

skull mount

Old 12-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default skull mount

I've got 2 nice 10 pts that I want to do skull mounts on. I need a little direction with this. Can anybody help?
Old 12-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: skull mount

You can go to the Taxidermy forum, they may be able to help you more..I boil mine out, it takes a few times, do it for 20 minutes and pick off the loose meat and repeat till clean, make sure you get all the meat off it and the brains out, once clean I use peroxide 40 liquid to whiten it, I dont use bleach because it has made the skull brittle in the past..The best way is beetles, but that is a whole different post..Good Luck..
Old 12-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

gracias.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

Do a search as there are several recent threads in the last couple weekshere regarding how to do a skull mount.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah--I found that on the taxidermy page. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

bury it and take it out after a while bugs eat the meat off
Old 12-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have my whitetail skull out sitting on an ant bed right now. I skinned the head first and I have it covered with a large 1/2 barrel and staked to the ground so nothing will drag it off. They are getting the job done slowly but surely.

Once they have done the bulk of the work I'lluse peroxide to get it nice and white.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

http://www.buckmasters.com/bm/Resources/ClassicBuckmasters/tabid/127/Page/1/Default.aspx
All u need to know
Old 12-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Spike

The easist way is to slow boil it for about 3 hrs. Well first off you will want to compleatly skin out the head then take the jaw bone off and cut the tonge out. Also try and trim most meat off if you can, but it is not necesary. Once that is done boil it like i said. After 3 hrs or so take it out and use a 3/8 in drill bit and drill a hole in the base of the skull forward of the where the brain stem would go. then take it to a hose with a higher pressure nozzle and spray it compleatly off. this will get most of the meat and stuff off. Now take the nozzle of the hose and spay it into where the brain stem would be(large hole in back of skull). This will take out most of the brain very quick.(becasue the brain is mush now) Now that hole that you drilled acted as relese valve for all of the cooked brain to go out of. And it also can be used to run a wire throght to hang the skull on the wall. now put it back in the pot for about 15-20 more minutes. after that is done take the skull up to an quarter car wash and spray it off real good with the regular wash setting making sure you get all of the brain out and all of the meat and stuff inside the nose cavity. Now you can use the soap setting on the wash and spray it good with the soapy water and you are done. Now there is no waiting till spring or summer for the bugs to eat it off. Also Since yo are cooking the head for so long the small thin bones in the nose something come loose. All you need to do save them aside and after the skull has dried out for a day and just use some elmers glue or wood glue to glue the back on. they fit in just like you were making a model.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Spike

Pic

Quick Reply: skull mount

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.