Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I need help so please respond >

I need help so please respond

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I need help so please respond

Old 10-28-2003, 01:15 PM

Default I need help so please respond

i moved my stand last night to a place where big woods connect to one of those tree lines that seperate fields on this farm. My stand is a pop up blinds. |(the farmer isn;t confortable with a tree stand). and well i didn' t feel like i was in a good spot but i sat there anyways. and saw nothing well i packed up and decieded to cut to the field so i could walk out quiter. When i got to the spot where i had to cut back in the woods to get to the house a big buck pop out and stared right at me. i hit the ground and he just watched. THan i grunted at him and he started to run right at me he halts about 40 yards away and than just stares again. then he stuck his nose in the air and jumped back and started to bound away but he stoped about another 30 yards and looked back again, so i grunted and he would turn his head and look at me than just walk. i did this repeatly about 10 times with and got the same reaction. my question is did i spook that buck off for good or what do you think that buck was thinking? Another real quick question there is a about 20 acres of forest and two big fields. one with corn still standing. Well from the big woods there is a tree line that connects to it and goes about 3/4 of the way down teh field where it opens to about an acre of woods and there is an old old old abandoned barn there that has tall grass where i think deer bed in there, but also no bull**** or anything there is about 12 rubs in this little area, is that one buck or are there several in that area or what could that mean? is it normal for there to be that many rubs in the area? please resond and let me know what you think, thanks and sorry this is so long
Old 10-28-2003, 01:39 PM

Default RE: I need help so please respond

I think that the buck you saw is now about 10 times wiser to hunters now. He at least knows that they can make deer noises I imagine, if he had any idea you were there. I seriously doubt that there are deer bedding down in an old barn. The number of rubs doesnt sound like an extravagant amount. Ive seen areas where bucks seem to rub everything in sight that is even possible to rub. All you can do is get back out there, you' ll never know if you dont go.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:45 PM

IF YOUR NOT HUNTING AT THE MOMENT, NEVER,NEVER,NEVER, GRUNT OR RATTLE AT A BUCK. ALL YOU ARE DOING IS EDUCATING THEM AND DRAWING ATTENTION TO YOURSELF. I' LL BET IF YOU SEE THIS BUCK WHILE YOU ARE HUNTING AGAIN AND YOU GRUNT AT HIM WITH THAT GRUNT CALL THAT HE RUNS THE OTHER WAY. IF YOU GET BUSTED LIKE THAT EITHER WAIT HIM OUT OR MAKE SOME OTHER NOISE LIKE A DEER SNORT OR A BARK.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I definately agree that the buck will be wise the next time there is an encounter. I doubt he' ll be so responsive unless maybe during the full rut. If you see him again it likely won' t be in that same place.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

I say, thank your lucky stars that he stopped!

If your rut is near he might have come right to you with the intentions of kicking your butt for trespassing on his territory!
Old 10-28-2003, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

All rubs really tell you is that there are bucks in the area. Beyond that it is speculation only. Only if I see a monster tree as big as my waist that is rubbed raw do I get very excited. One buck may have rubbed them all or several of all ages and sizes could have done it. It does indicate that that spot sees a decent amount of deer activity currently...but that could change depending on a variety of factors. Good luck.

By the way, I somewhat agree with the aforementioned posts about educating this particular buck...you may have. I would rather have spooked him at that moment and watched his white tail disappear over the hills then have had a conversation with him with your grunt call until he finally takes off. Next time he is hung up 60 yards away and hears that grunt call and he is of any age and intelligence, he will not come in and you just lost a valuble tool. But hey, who knows...maybe he liked you and was just being fickle