Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 having a lil dilema...please respond >

having a lil dilema...please respond

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

having a lil dilema...please respond

Old 01-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default having a lil dilema...please respond

I need y'all's opinions. Please read the belowhypathetical situationand tell me if you feel that a person who hunts this land is unethical or illegal.

Bob and George have a small piece of land which is basically smack dab in the middle of Fred's farm...all of them get along great and help each other out when needed....about two years ago the landowners got together to decide if they should put property lines up (fences).....after surveying and weighing all the options both sides agreed to keep it the way it's been for the last 50yrs...meaning that Bob and George (and their families/related by blood or marriage) can hunt up to the pastures but not in the pastures.....technically that means that about 20 acres of hardwoods on the south side belongs to Fred....so do you need written permission from Fred if you are related to Bob or George in order to hunt legally? do you need written permission from Bob and George?
Are you unethical if you do harvest an animal in that 20 acres if you don't have the written permission?
i feel as though the landowners have a gentlemans agreement so written permission is not needed ...and if you harvest a deer you're not being unethical or illegal...and if written permission was ever was needed then Fred would be more than happy to comply at a moments notice....but it's always been a verbal agreement...since day one.

Old 01-22-2006, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: having a lil dilema...please respond

Huh?

Old 01-22-2006, 08:06 PM

Yes, but only if one of them is married.

To be more succinct, what you are describing is definitely an ethical/moral question but may or may not be a legal question. It also may or may not be a good example of a word salad.

Does your state/town/county/municipality require written permission to hunt private land that you do not own? If so, then legally yes you do need to have written permission regardless of family association and/or sexual orientation.

Should Bob and Farmer whatshisname just friggin cut the crap? Absolutely.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

lol...in order to lessen the confusion here's more of the story:

a buddy of mine was huntin' on his families land...he got a doe.....he was technically huntin' out of the families property lines but the area he was huntin' is the 20 acres of land in which they are allowed...they have permission but not written...it's been this one since day one when his grandfather bought the land....well someone who isn't allowed to hunt either place got their britches in a bunch and now is saying that my buddy was huntin' illegally which is unethical...i totally disagree with this because of the fact that my buddy is family by blood so he has every right to hunt it....as long as he doesn't go past the pastures...which he didn't.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:50 PM

Solution: Hunt somewhere else! (lol)
Actually, the ethical thing to do would be to get written permission. Seems to be at least a slight amount of uncertainty. Be safe, not sorry.
And if these oqners have some sort of agreement, they should not have a problem with written permission.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

folks this isn't that hard. what he did was not unethical, nor was it illegal. You shouldn't have to worry about something like this. If you've been given permission you've got permission. If someone has a problem with it tell them to talk to the landowner. Don't worry about this so much, it's no big deal at all.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:47 AM

I always get written permission regardless and carry it with me just in case of a situation like this or DNR drops by.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:35 AM
Dominant Buck

If this is West Virginia, she's still your sister even if you marry her.[8D] Why do you do this Flhuntress. Go ahead, tell us who did you wrong. OK, with out the melodrama.... whatever the state laws are is what should be done. That way all parties can hunt without fear of reprisal from family, friends or THE LAW. If the law says you need written permission you should get it. It just makes things easier. IF it says you should have it and you don't...... you're breaking the law and the law can write you up. Avoid it all and get the slip. If you recall, there was a deal last year or the year before where a guy shot this monster buck and it died on a farmers land where he'd always been allowed to hunt. But the farmer who found it decided he'd keep it and sell it for the big bucks. He had changed his mind and said the guy didn't have permission to hunt his land.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Your buddy is not unethical nor illegal. I hunt on some landowners who will not sign a written permission slip.......only thing I can think of is they are afraid it would easier to be sued.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

Here's the article davidmil referred to. Seems like the easy thing to do would just be to get written permission.
http://espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/news/2005/0531/2072777.html

Quick Reply: having a lil dilema...please respond

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.