Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 LAST DAY SUCCESS >

LAST DAY SUCCESS

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

LAST DAY SUCCESS

Old 10-27-2003, 07:51 AM

Default LAST DAY SUCCESS

What a day! Finally had a cold front move through East Texas. I had a small 6 point come in about 7:10. He saw me move a spooked. I wasn' t going to take him anyway but he spoiled my morning until about 10:30. I relocated because according to the tables the deer would be moving about 11:30. I got in my other location at about 11:00. 10 minutes later a doe stepped across a shooting lane I stood up waiting for her to come into the next lane. She did and was 1/4 away at about 35 yards. The arrow entered right in front of the last rib and exited to opposite shoulder. She made a big figure eight, ran right past my stand for about 20 yards and came back to me and crashed 5 yards from me.

I waited a few minutes and turned to look and relive everything and there was another deer right where she was standing when I shot her![] It was a buck! He trailed every step she took after I shot her. I came to full draw and the 6 point (not the same one from earlier) walked broad side at about 5 yards. (I am only about seven feet off the ground.) And I said to myself, " He will be nice in a couple of years," and let him walk on by. He kept tracking the doe. He finally walked off and I got down to find my arrow. It was raining so I wanted to practice tracking the blood. There was massive blood from the 125 Thunderhead. I followed it right to my stand; the buck was standing right over the doe!! He blew at me and ran off but never threw up he flag!?!? What a hunt! The last day of bow season and in the rain. Just like last year for me.

Sorry, no pictures.

A couple of observations I made:

Every turn the deer made was to the side I shot her, which was her left. She did NOT run in start lines. She made a big figure eight and headed right back to where I shot her when she died.

The blood trail started immediately and was massive with the shot I made, and it did not stop. It took out the liver, both lungs and clipped the heart. The lungs were deflated.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: LAST DAY SUCCESS

Congrats on the doe, now tell me your secret to get them to run back to your stand and crash!
Old 10-27-2003, 08:02 AM

Sounds like a great hunt for adverse weather conditons nice shooting, nice recovery, and nice restraint on the shot
Old 10-27-2003, 08:51 AM

Congrats.....
Old 10-27-2003, 08:56 AM

Taz I couldn' t believe that! For a second, I thought I missed even though I saw the hit. I was trying to get a second shot when she fell. The best part is that it was right on the road so I just pulled my truck right up and loaded her up.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:05 AM

Congrats! I wish I could get the deer I shoot to run closer to the truck and not further away. Never seems to happen.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:53 AM

Congrats on the doe but I do have a question. If she only ran to the left how did she make a figure 8?????????????

Sounds like a nice shot. I had a buck I shot lay down about 20 yds from my stand until he expired. He took off after the shot and I grunted. It was pretty nice not having to trail him.

Congrats!!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2003, 12:20 PM

Congrats on the doe but I do have a question. If she only ran to the left how did she make a figure 8?????????????
GREAT QUESTION!! It was more like a large circle. When she turned to come back she spun to her left and headed back. She never made it all the way back to the starting point.