Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cable Guard Squeak! >

Cable Guard Squeak!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cable Guard Squeak!

Old 10-16-2003, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cable Guard Squeak!

As the weather is getting nastier here in PA, and the rain is comin down, I thought it would be a fine time to wax the ole bow string. So I bust out the wax, and give the bow a once over with the string wax, and put her away for the night.

The next morning, I get to my stand. I always check everything once i' m up there to make sure everything is functional. I draw the bow to make sure everything is kosier, pick out my lanes once again, etc..

Well, I draw the bow... smooth as a babies bottom, and let it down. Change positions, and draw again.....

*WWWWRRRRRREEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPEEEE! *

I' m thinking WHAT THE HECK! so i let down and draw again. same thing. This time, however, I noticed that it was my cable slide making all the noise. After further inspection, it looks as if there is a waxy powder all over the cable guard and slide. The noise just wouldn' t go away, and I am in stand. I decide to chance it and stay in the woods. Maybe, just maybe, if the big boy comes walkin by he wouldn' t hear that aweful sound. (yeah right)

Now, I know this has been brought up before in other posts, but I' d like some of you guys to post some of your suggestions for solving this problem. I haven' t fixed it yet (This career thing takes away from my hunting ).

If I remember, cleaning the guard and slide w/ Isopropyl alcohol and a teflon slide were just a couple suggestions.

I apreciate your response.

Thanks,
-BJ
Old 10-16-2003, 07:01 PM
8PT

Default RE: Cable Guard Squeak!

If you get caught out on stand again with this situation here is something to try to get you through the hunt. Take your handkerchef, shirttail, etc. and wipe the cable guard and slide clean. Then rub your fingertip alongside your nose or forhead and you will find you have a certain amount of oil in your skin that will come off on your finger. Rub this on the guard rod and see if the noise goes away. Just may save you the chance for the monster.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:21 PM

Even though I don' t use one on my bow, several people say a teflon slide will do wonders. I would give that a try first(along with cleaning the rod, that never hurts).

peashooter
Old 10-16-2003, 08:42 PM

Both these guys are right. A teflon slide works wonders. But a little oil from your skin can quiet it right down. Also, grab your cables at the guard and vigorously push/pull it back and forth a few times. Great idea you have on checking everything once on stand!!!
Old 10-16-2003, 09:06 PM

my friend' s bow made some noise when drawing and shooting. It wasn' t a squeek, we just thouhg it was the bow. So he bought a telflon slide, and quieted down greatly.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

samething happened to me two years ago that cost me a large doe. took forever to clean it enough to make it stop with that noise. goodluck.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:31 PM
Typical Buck

Get yourself a teflon cable slide.
Old 10-17-2003, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I was shooting my old bow back in August I had the same problem. I took it down to the pro shop to have the slide replaced. I remember asking if there was anything I could do to keep it from happening again. I was told that the best thing to do is keep the slide as clean as possible and to NOT use any type of oil or lubrication. They said the lubricant would collect more dust and dirt and the problem wouldn' t go away for long.

Old 10-17-2003, 05:24 AM

I clean the guard with acetone, really nail polish remover without the added scent. I have had this drive me nuts in the past and what I have taken to doing is soaking a small rag, small so it can fit in a sandwich size ziplock bag. I put it into two ziplocks and keep it in my fanny pack for just such an emergency. It usually lasts all season. Deer don' t seem to smell silicone spray. I also spray all of my hunting arrows every so often and wipe them clean. That way, I don' t have to find out that my arrow has developed a swish or a sqeak as it is drawn.

Just my ideas.

Greg
Old 10-17-2003, 08:50 AM

Teflon slide, worked wonders for my bow. Just make sure you put in on right. I put mine on wrong and wasn' t shooting right. It was the slides fault right???? I looked closer and the strings were sbrawkcad..........