Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cable Guard

Old 02-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default Cable Guard

I have totally tore my bow down now except removing the cable guard. I called a pro shop here and he said it is JB welded in. He also saidsince it is a colored bow, competition blue, that I can use a torch on the riser. Does anyone have any input on this or know another way to get it out? Also, if it breaks, where can I get a new one? It is for a Mathews Q2XL.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cable Guard

I'd contact Mathews on that one.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:02 PM

i agree mathews is probably your best bet
Old 02-04-2007, 03:43 PM

Um, I would guess a torch will burn off the paint, yes??? Contact Mathews, no doubt.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

I will be contacting them tomorrow. I did indeed try the torch trick conservatively. The cable guard didn't budge, didn't melt the hardcoat either. I would imagine there is a way to remove this for replacement other than torching it.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

Is it metal or carbon? If the rod is metal, I would heat it up instead of the riser.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Typical Buck

It is the standard carbon rod that Mathews uses.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:17 AM
Typical Buck

Well, I left the rod in. Since it is not metal they can anodize with it on. What a headache to try to take that thing off with a blowdryer LOL. I should have my NEW bow back this week 100% flat black just like the limbs. I will put up some pics when it is back together........
Old 02-06-2007, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

FYI The cable guard on my Reflex had left hand threads AND it was locktighted in. To let the locktight release, it takes more than a hairdryer. A hair dryer may get it hot enough eventually, but it needs to heat up quickly in a small area. A small propane torch will do it. Only a second or two should do it, but it may discolor(probably will, maybe buff it out). Sometimes be twisting a bit, the locktight will let loose.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

Well shoot me in the foot....... I never thought it may have a left hand thread. I hope that isn't the case here cause I will feel like an idiot for not twisting the other way. I did call a pro shop though and he did tell me it was in there with JB weld. Hopefully, it doesn't discolor but, if it does I have a polishing kit at work for carbide, sure it will work for carbon as well.

Quick Reply: Cable Guard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.