Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 No cable guard bows! >

No cable guard bows!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

No cable guard bows!

Old 12-25-2004, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

Default No cable guard bows!

Why is it that most all bow companies have not yet come up with a no cable guard system? I call the Matthews and Bear/Jennings types of roller arms and rollers still a cable guard.

Still, of all the compound bows I have ever owned, the Oneida bows are still the smoothest torque free bows. Martin has the Nitrous X system that does away with a cable guard. A buddy of mine placed 1st in a state sanctioned shoot with his own homemade split cable system years ago with a High Country. I've never liked cable guards, and knew they were not necessary with the much older, wider wheels. I've never shot the Martin system but I am going to try one out soon. In my opinion shooting through the cables and with no or very little sideway pressure on the cables would promote greater accuracy, more speed, and less torque. What say you to telling all the manufacturers to come up with a no cable guard system? With the new technology we have today they should be able too!
Old 12-25-2004, 05:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: No cable guard bows!

Not as simple as all of that, because people are individuals, and all have individual form, stature, comfort levels, and induce differing levels of imparted torque into the bow.

So, what this means is that altho a shoot-thru or X system may in fact feel like the cat's butt to some people, there are others who prefer a cableguarded bow due to the attributes mentioned above. Not everyone will shoot a non-cableguarded/neutral geometry bow better--- not Pros, not Amateurs. In fact, many of the Pros on the aforementioned Martin factory team do not shoot the Nitrous or Fury X system. Same thing with Merlin and their shoot thru vs. their cableguarded bows. Why? Simply because some shoot a cableguarded bow better. Personally, I have shot them all, and for me it is about 6 of one, half-dozen of the other. I personally will not put down my Merlin Omega hybrid system with cableguard for any other current design. JMHO Pinwheel 12
Old 12-25-2004, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Seems like shoot thru cable systems would be practically impossible for a fingers shooter to manage. I shot the old Browning bows that tracked the cables off to the side as the bow was drawn. One bow worked very well but the other was a POS so, obviously, I came away with mixed opinions about them.

What bugs me more than anything else is the stinkin' cables we've got these days. I always thought the best design was a fastflight string with steel cables that anchored into the cams. Fastflight string, steel cables that wouldn't creep and no tear drops... To me that was the best of everything. Bear/Jennings used that setup for a year or two and I've always wondered why it didn't catch on (probably the snap-a-matic limbs they were putting out ). I have no problem with cable guards, but having to retwist creepy cables a half dozen times a season bugs me to death. Probably the main reason I've lost all interest in shooting compounds.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

Art-

I had one of those Browning Bushmaster bows that tracked from one side to the other during the draw in the early 1980's---let's just say I do not have it anymore..[8D][:'(] POS is a great assessment IMHO.

Steel Cables had their problems too--- tho rugged, how do you adjust the timing if needed?(and most needed it!) Some admittedly had cam adjustments, but nothing beats the simplicity of a synthetic harness when it comes to ease of tuning.

Shoot-trhu and X systems are no problem for a finger shooter once you learn them, and loading isn't bad either, like I said one just has to learn a new trick. Pinwheel 12
Old 12-28-2004, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

Cougar Mag,

To me, there's no better system in the world than the 3 track shoot thru cams like the Nitrous X or Wedel.
They're the best overall engineered system ever devised.
With them you have less wear on components, no torque from the lousy cable guard, and better accuracy potential because everything is in much better aligned vs a cable guard system.
Judge for yourself; don't take my word for it !
Shoot a cable guarded bow at 80 yards for group.
Next shoot a Nitrous X or Wedel equipped bow at 80 yards.
Then have some of your friends shot both types of bows at this same distance.
Compare your groups and your friends groups for each system.
My guess is, everyone will shoot the better overall groups with the 3 track X cam system.
If not, it will surprise me greatly !
A cable guard is old news on a compound and as useful as one would be on Arthur's Longbows.

Pinwheel 12,

When will my Merlin X cams be available ?
I'm still waiting.

Sag.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:28 AM

Sometimes we accept less accuracy for greater advantage in other areas. For me, I'd never consider any system that put a cable or string in a position where it may contact a heavy hunting jacket. Bows are primarily designed for hunters, not target shooters. Most hunters do just fine with cable guards and do not want shoot-through cables or anything that makes it less convenient when hunting.

Personally, I like regular cables make of Ultracam. I prefer being able to fine-tune my draw length, draw weight, limb twist and brace height, while being able to keep my draw length where it should be.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never owned a shootthru bow , but am considering retrofiting my mv2 . I can only imagine that broadhead tuneing would be alot easyer with such a bow . Straightarrow has mentioned the only down side , and an armgauard would be an easy solution to that , I would think . Far easyer than trying to tune out cabelrod toqure , which is imposable on some bows .
Old 12-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Typical Buck

Straightarrow,

I understand your feeling on the extra cable but I have never been bothered by it or had them contact my arm while hunting.
I have practiced with my heavy hunting Parka and the cables will touch if it is layered beneith, but since the cables on a shoot thru go slightly up and down vs back and forth like a cable guard bow, it hasn't been a problem for me.
The accuracy was just fine.
Besides, I despise to Bowhunt in bitter cold weather anymore and usually don't do it.
I prefer to hunt bitter cold weather with my new Smith&Wesson 500 Mag.

Jimmy,

Jim Despart has always got the best flight from his broadheads with a shoot thru system.

Pinwheel 12,

I sure would love to order a camo Super Nova from you with a 3 track.
Ask Chris and Ben, at the ATA show, when they can have it ready for me.
Tell them it's for Ol' Sag.
Ok ?

Sag.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

Sag-

Keep on rubbing that lamp, maybe your wish will come true. (or maybe something even better, gotta quit thinking "inside the box" my friend!)

Ben and Chris are not coming this year-- Mrs Pinwheel 12, Archagator, Field 14, and the rest of the crew along with myself will be handling things in the Merlin USA booth and demo area.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:16 PM

for hunting I don't think I would want a shoot thru system. It's so easy to get that second shot off with most standard bows & I wouldn't want a setup where I would have to think too much to load a second arrow if it was needed.

Quick Reply: No cable guard bows!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.