Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 coyotes, to kill or not to kill, your take! >

coyotes, to kill or not to kill, your take!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

coyotes, to kill or not to kill, your take!

Old 10-15-2003, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: coyotes, to kill or not to kill, your take!

We didn' t have coyotes in our area until the mid 70' s and our system was balanced just fine. I have killed several coyotes with a bow and even more with rifles.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

What a bunch of blood thirsty rednecks! [:@] " kill ' em all, worthless things, etc etc" I hope a coyote bites your nutz off!!! I have had shots at yotes on several occasions and have never shot one. I' m not arguing that they should not be managed but to address it in such an idiotic mindset makes me sick! Nice example you set arseholes!!! [:@] These predators have as much if not more right to live in the woods as your buck-toothed @$$ does!!! Your mama gots a wooden leg with a real foot!
Old 10-15-2003, 08:16 AM

Since we' ve let trappers on our 250 acres in MI, we' ve seen more turkeys,rabbits, and pat' s. Kill as many as you can.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:47 AM

If I had a cat and a coyote in front of me, I' d wait until the coyote ate the cat and then I' d shoot the coyote (felony to shoot cats in New York, if you can believe that!).

Coyotes are an effecient predator, too efficient if you ask me. Their population is increasing around here, yearly. You have to be careful taking out a hunting dog, because it might get eaten by the dang things. We could shoot as many as possible and they' d still be plenty around. I say, keep their population reasonably low. They do too much damage to game animals populations.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was lucky enough to kill a ' yote that came into my calling this spring turkey season. Two weeks ago a " Mother" brought her pups to the farm to do some hunting, they took 6 of my 13 year old cousin' s prize chickens that he raises for 4-H. This happend during broad daylight. Last week a person that bowhunts on the same land as I do shot a doe in the evening. The deer ended up traveling about 300 yards. We lost her trail at about 10:00 p.m. and decided to wait until the next morning. When we found her the hind quarters were gone. Saturday a.m. I could hear coyotes yipping. I could identify at least 8-9 different voices. I will shoot again if I get the chance. If nothing else it will make the land owners happy. I wonder how many fawns, turkeys, rabbits, pheasant, grouse that this pack has killed in the past year? Anyone have any figures on the amount of meat needed to sustain a coyote for 1 year? I would be interested in finding out.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

In my haste in posting, I want to add this.........I will not hesitate to shoot a coyote while bowhunting simply because I do not hunt them and seldom get a shot at one. I have shot coyotes before, but did so only because the shot was available and coyotes were way overpopulated in my area. I do not/would not practice wiping them out completely.
As far as Taximina' s post........there is no way I could do that!!!! But I will not condemn him for what he does. By the way........I do not rationalize the statement," Death to the predators."
Old 10-15-2003, 09:27 AM

Just have to put in my 2 cents. I hear lots of people here talking about all the game animals that these coyotes kill and I agree. They do. The problem is that everyone seems to be talking about the game animals, (turkey, deer, elk) like we own them. I hate to break it to you all but game animals are in the woods for more then just sportsmen (and women).

Bears, wolves and coyotes have as much right to the prey animals as we do. Nature does a far better job of wildlife management than we do.

Now that said, I do see merit in thinning the number of predators when they are taking pets and livestock. However, I do not see any point in killing them just to kill them.

Would I kill one? Can' t say that I have. I guess if I went hunting for them I would. I hear they are a fun and tough creature to hunt. I have just never had the opportunity.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

You do have a very good point NorthernMN. The wild animals do not belong to us. I think a lot of hunters are discouraged because the license fee' s and donations that we make pay for relocation and stocking of game animals. Some people feel that entitles them to a succssful harvest. I had never seen a coyote until the wild turkeys had been re-established with funds from hunters, now there many of both in our area.
It seems to me there are lots of people in your area that have a much different thought process than you, especially with wolves. Talking to people in Middle River,Roseau,Salol,Warroad,Buffalo Bay ect. they all want to shoot the wolves. Especially the turkey farmers.
How has the fishing been on LOW?
Old 10-15-2003, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Bowhuntray is wright we have a bounty on them in some parts of texas 10 dallars for a set of ears and the ranchers are happy for us to take them.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:59 AM

Yeah, Handles maybe we are a litte " different" up here. The wolves debate here is always going on. We have plenty of timber wolves here. We don' t make the laws up herein northern Minnesota. City folks make most of the laws. Most of them have probably never seen a timber wolf. So they think there must not be many of them. Better make them protected. Just in case we run out. The crazy thing is that in Canada (I can see Canada from where I am sitting right now) they are not only unprotected but shot without hesitation.

I look at it like this. It is probably a good thing they are protected even if there does seem to be plenty of them. If they weren' t, hunters would kill them as often as they could because the wolves are always killing " their" deer.

Not sure how fishing is right now. It is hunting season after all. As soon as the water gets that hard crust on top I will go fishing again.

Quick Reply: coyotes, to kill or not to kill, your take!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.