Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 i lost a buck this past weekend >

i lost a buck this past weekend

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

i lost a buck this past weekend

Old 10-09-2003, 10:00 PM

Default RE: i lost a buck this past weekend

Then are you saying that I can' t " walk the walk" and " talk the talk" ??
No!

I said; (paraphrased) when the " Green Marine" attempted to go beyond his visual camouflage, and engage in a verbal exchange with truly experienced Marines, and tried to put himself where others had been and he had not, he blew his cover and gave his position away.

Never engage a force that is equipped with heavy weapons when you are light in weaponry and low in ammo.

Anyway, you were about to say?
Old 10-09-2003, 10:33 PM

I said; (paraphrased) when the " Green Marine" attempted to go beyond his visual camouflage, and engage in a verbal exchange with truly experienced Marines, and tried to put himself where others had been and he had not, he blew his cover and gave his position away.

Never engage a force that is equipped with heavy weapons when you are light in weaponry and low in ammo.

So I attempted to go beyond my visual camo and engage a truely experienced hunter and tried to put myself where others have been and I have not, I blew my cover and gave my position away??

and

I Shouldn' t engage a force that is equipped with heavy weapons when I am light in weaponry and low on ammo??

If this is what you are trying to say I would like you to explain yourself because you are beginning to look like a jerk that is taking personal jabs at someone for no reason.

If that isn' t what you are saying then you are doing a lousy job of explaining yourself.

Your logic that somehow how many deer you have stuck an arrow in is the ONLY measure of hunting knowledge and skill is mind numbing. I lose count of how many of your " experienced" friends post here every year that they can' t find a deer they just shot..........and in the process reveal just how much good that " experience" does them with no knowledge behind it. LOLOL

You must consider me a master gun hunter who everyone should listen to......you know because of all my " experience" and the truckloads of deer I have killed over the last 16 years.

Funny how all that deer hunting skill and knowledge just gets erased when I pick up a bow LOLOLOLOL
Old 10-10-2003, 05:07 AM

Augh, that' s too bad but it happenes sometimes. Definately make you feel sick to your stomach, yeah? Maybe I missed it but I did not read anything from you talking about the blood you found. The blood is what tells you what you hit. Maybe you know all this allready but I' ll lay it out anyway.

Bright red with bubles is lungs

Smaller bubles in a more normal colored blood usually indicates a heart hit.

Red to dark red blood often indicated a liver shot.

Stinky food covered arrow is a stomach shot and food particles will usually be in the blood. Flies like it.

watered down blood with very small food bits is often intestines.

Plain red blood can also be either liver or just muscle. Muscle usually does not bleed very well unless you hit a blood vessel. It also bleeds in drops which are spread apart. The arrow won' t have much blood on it and often is covered in greace and with little pieces of meat on it.

So how about it? WHAT KIND OF BLOOD WAS THERE???

Also, new jersey hunter (pg 1) is right on the money. It' s a good idea to go out and smell for it.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:07 PM

atlasman:

I was simply giving you a taste of your own medicine. Tastes bitter, does it not? But you kept prodding for me to not beat around the bush; so here it is.

As for gun hunting vs. bow hunting, there is a fork in the road where the methods of hunting part way and certain required knowledge and methods begin to differ. You pick up a bow for the first time, you shoot a deer for the first time, and overnight you become a pompous authority. When did you pick up the bow, how many times have you bow-hunted, and, yes, because it is relevant, how many arrow-shot deer have you tracked?

When you describe something you do or did, your posts are commonly filled with terms that are self-aggrandizing and extremely pretentious, and your sentences are filled with ennobling adjectives. Your believed knowledge of archery and bowhunting and your chastisement of others are too advanced in accordance with your time behind the string and 1 bow kill.

Although premature, if you were to just flaunt your experience and qualifications in a manner that focuses on you only, those aware of the obvious would most likely just lift an eyebrow and say nothing. However, when you nastily rip into someone that has done nothing extraordinarily wrong, and then go as far as to insinuate the person is a " cry baby," you have stepped over the line and you deserve being taken down a notch or two.

The bottom line is; you are green to many aspects of archery and bowhunting, and you have a way to go before you are qualified to chastise and lecture someone as you did and as you sometimes do. Act accordingly and you will not have your " greenness" thrown in your face.

Now, using your words:

When you' re wrong........you' re wrong. Be a man and listen to what people tell you and learn from your mistakes or be a baby and cry about people being mean to you........and then make the same mistakes over and over.

Old 10-10-2003, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

guys i didn' t realize i was starting all this but i was just wanting to learn i guess i won' t post another question like this but i do appreciate the guys that helped me and took up for me.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:30 PM

Atlas,

I think what c906 is trying to say about the picture of the heart and all is that you make it look like you are the great bowhunter. The newness of the shot should be worn off by now and to remove the picture. Actually if you hit the deer in the heart you almost missed. Experienced bow hunters know that. I prefer a double lung shot myself. Easier to track and much less room for error. Most experts that I have heard say not to take heart shots.

Hunter 21

Sorry about your loss. I shot one last year in the rain. Wasn' t 100% sure of the shot. I waited an hour and looked for three hours in the rain. Didn' t have much blood. I walked within 30 yards of her several times in the wide open woods before I ever saw her. I kept going back to the last sign I could find and took every possible route. She fell right on her belly and blended right in with the leaves on the ground. It turned out to be a good hit and she traveled about 50 -60 yards.

Keep your head up. Hunters will lose game from time to time, and it is heartbreaking. You did nothing to get slammed for the way some people are doing. Good luck and keep learning. I know I learn something new everytime I go to the woods.

One thing I have learned is the weather man is wrong more than he is right.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yea, please take it off. I' m getting tired of looking at it also. (the heart that is)
Old 10-10-2003, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every fricken year we go thru this b.s.! Some young hunter comes here looking for advice after wounding an animal and the ethics police jump out from everywhere[:' (]

deer hunter 21

Sorry for your lost buck! It sucks! We' ve all been there or will be!

It' s funny how a hunters first harvest turns him from novice to expert in a year!
Old 10-10-2003, 07:11 PM

Actually if you hit the deer in the heart you almost missed. Experienced bow hunters know that.
That simple statement tells me " WThunter" knows something about bowhunting.

Old 10-10-2003, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Atlas, nothing personal, but you mean to tell me you have one bow kill to your credit and you are rendering out seething judgement to a fellow hunter who is asking for help concerning what went wrong?

There are few absolutes in bowhunting. It is a great thing to be able to experience a kill and tracking game with experienced woodsmen. They make things look easy.( Much like Barry Bonds hitting big league pitching...looks easy when he does it, but I guarantee you a big league curve ball will buckle our knees everytime.) However, it is entirely different to do it successfully time after time by yourself. What works or can be applied in one situation may not work in another.

I just think sugar coated comments and pats on the back are a waste of time when a good kick in the pants is what someone needs. The day I need it I hope someone gives it to me.
I hesitate to even point out a flaw or two in your own tracking story but because you chastised deer hunter 21 so eagerly I will just mention a couple.

I started marking the drops with toilet paper on twigs so I could predict his path.
Found another drop about 10 feet in a new direction...
Although marking blood drops with toilet paper tells you where the animal has been it cannot " predict" where it will go, as your own statement verifies.

There is a gorge where I hunt and if a deer is pushed he is a gonna head for the gorge for sure. That means a sure lost animal.
Animals are recovered from gorges every year, you just have to be able to track them. A " details kind of guy" would know that.

The track was tougher because of the non passthrough then it was because of the rain.
A pass through does not guarantee a good blood trail and like wise a non pass through may or may not yield a good blood trail.

this forum is full of " experienced" guys you can learn from. Many can be found starting threads just like this when their luck runs out and the deer they just shot doesn' t fall right in front of them.
While I do agree that this cyber environment is ripe for the so called " experts" to spout off their " knowledge" I believe that the truly experienced guys can find their way around, if you know what I mean. They will know what to do when the deer " doesn' t fall right in front of them"

Does my story of my bow kill sound like someone who doesn' t know what they were doing or just got lucky??
Hard to tell to be honest. It could be one or the other, both, or none of the above. When you have only done it once, you don' t have much to go on.

Again please don' t think this is personal. If your honest with yourself you will see what others are trying to point out in a diplomatic way. You obviously do possess some knowledge but on the experience side of the ledger you are still an infant. Nothing wrong with that as long as you keep things in perspective.

Quick Reply: i lost a buck this past weekend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.