Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Spitfire Problems >

Spitfire Problems

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spitfire Problems

Old 10-07-2003, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spitfire Problems

Coolbrze, see Atlasman' s post, and go to bowjackson on how to calculate k.e. This way you' ll learn how to do it yourself, and know for the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2003, 07:43 AM
Spike

First, thanks for all the info. As a new member of this site, I' ve learned more about broadhead selection in this single thread than in all my visits to many quality archery shops. You guys are a knowledgeable bunch!

For any of you who are looking to calculate KE, you can download the shaft selector program from www.eastonarchery.com . It includes a nifty KE calculator.

My biggest lesson learned from this discussion? If it ain' t broke don' t fix it! I switched to mechanicals in hopes of extending my range to 30 yards or beyond. Fact is, I' ve never taken a shot beyond 22 or 23 yards, and see no reason to do so now. My fixed heads group fine at those ranges, and their effectiveness has been outstanding.

Thanks again,
Bob
Old 11-05-2003, 05:50 PM

i took a nice buck last night with a spitfire 85 i got a pass through at 20 yards
about the blades u often find them closed even though they do open.there is a way to test if they open on the back of the package if you dont beleive me
Old 11-05-2003, 07:31 PM
Spike

I' ve been using Spitifire 85' s for going on 4 years and I have had no problems other than those cause by my own shooting. Every good and some not so good shots I' ve made have resulted in quick kills and awsome bloodtrails.

I am shooting 63# with a XX78 2314 arrow and am have no problem whatsoever with penetration. My Mathews Conquest Light and the Spitfire' s are a deadly combo.

I have heard hunters who have never shot a Spitfire making statements about how they don' t open at times........IMPOSSIBLE !!!! Take a look at the blade design and it is very obvious that this blade is not going to stay closed when impacting a deer in the vitals IMO.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:34 PM
New Sheriff

Here ya go Rico,

I could post dozens more pics of me with deer that fell prey to the spitfire but I guess I just have the perfect setup for them

Old 11-05-2003, 09:44 PM

Easton has an arrow selection utility program that will also calculate your kinetic energy....hers a link to it

http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloa...lector2003.zip

and this is the webpage its on...
http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads
Old 11-06-2003, 04:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Well, if he' s shooting a 2413 unibushing with 3 vanes and a 100 grain point his arrow weighs closer to 500 grain, something like 492. Anyway, at 230 fps that heavy arrow is up to 58 foot pounds, which according to everything I' ve read should work. That said, I don' t like mechanicals. Stick with the Thunderheads.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:27 AM

I have been shooting spitfires for about 6 years and I can give you a list of animals I have taken. From elk, deer, axis, and many of them. Over the last 6 years I have lost 2 animals. NOT the broadheads fault though. They were shots that hit to far back.

I know my equipment, and work with it year round. What I see to often is lack of practice with broadheads. This is when you should practice even more. There' s alot of good info on this post and everything is important. However, things are magnified even worse when the shoot is poorly placed. Let' s be a little more critical of ourselves and what we' ve done before we blame equipment on OUR screwups!!!

J. Shoot
Old 11-06-2003, 05:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

As stated by others you need to have a well tuned bow and the KE to use mechs, I love my spitfires and until they fail me I will continue to use them. I agree with everyone who says the blades didn' t open, I challenge anyone to shoot them through a fresh deer hide into a backstop and not find them open. They do close after they either are backed/pulled out of a deer or they blow through.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:56 AM

I have used NAP Shockwaves but never Spitfires..... The reason - my lack of belief in them. It seeems as though80% of the stories I have heard about poor performance with a mechanical were from Spitfires.... NAP makes great products but I dont think the Spitfire is so great. Yes it may be sharp, and durable.... But the Shockwave and Spitfire are a lot better...... I have had pass throghs with shockwaves at steep angles on HEAVY deer (200+) I read a story recently where an outfitter specifically says " If you hunt here - no Spitfires" - after that, and reading your post, I am thinking NAP should take a HARD look at that head and perhaps make it very clear that it needs a ton of KE to be effective.....